Re: [quenya] atya quettar

  • Kai MacTane
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2003
      At 2/28/03 09:13 PM , Mórinárocm8= wrote:
      >Polë quetimma 'blood-drinker', quenyanen?
      >ar (thanks) an cotumo!

      I suppose, _sercesucar_ or _sercesucindor_. (I think I lean towards the
      former.) BTW, _an_ "for" is more of a connective "for" -- like, "I must go,
      for it is my bedtime." When you mean "in exchange for, on behalf of", you
      should use the dative.

      _Hantale_ is generally used for "thank you", although it's a bit
      "mish-mash" and definitely post-Tolkien. So, _ar hantale cotumon_.

      --Kai MacTane
      "Why can't I live a life for me?
      Why should I take the abuse that's served?
      Why can't they see they're just like me?
      I'm not the one that's so absurd!"
      --Ministry,
      "Every Day is
      Halloween"
    • Mórináro
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003
        thanks Kai... i actually should've known to use the dative, its just that
        i'm going on 36 hours of being awake lol, still awake, and when i wrote that
        (and while i write this...) i am half asleep...thanks for Hantale though!
        and i think sercesucar sounds a bit better....thanks
        Hantale!

        Namárië! Nai Anar cálë tielyanna!
        -- Mórináro
        At 2/28/03 09:13 PM , Mórinárocm8= wrote:
        >Polë quetimma 'blood-drinker', quenyanen?
        >ar (thanks) an cotumo!

        I suppose, _sercesucar_ or _sercesucindor_. (I think I lean towards the
        former.) BTW, _an_ "for" is more of a connective "for" -- like, "I must go,
        for it is my bedtime." When you mean "in exchange for, on behalf of", you
        should use the dative.

        _Hantale_ is generally used for "thank you", although it's a bit
        "mish-mash" and definitely post-Tolkien. So, _ar hantale cotumon_.

        --Kai MacTane
        "Why can't I live a life for me?
        Why should I take the abuse that's served?
        Why can't they see they're just like me?
        I'm not the one that's so absurd!"
        --Ministry,
        "Every Day is
        Halloween"

      • amanibhavam
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2003
          --- Kai MacTane <kmactane@...> wrote:
          > At 2/28/03 09:13 PM , M�rin�rocm8= wrote:
          > >Pol� quetimma 'blood-drinker', quenyanen?
          > >ar (thanks) an cotumo!
          >
          > I suppose, _sercesucar_ or _sercesucindor_. (I think
          > I lean towards the
          > former.)

          I'd propose *serceyuldo from the later root YUL-, cf.
          yulma.

          Amanibhavam

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/