Osto tavarwa carna tauresse

  • sshiskom <mathmaniac@hanmail.net>
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 25, 2003
      Osto Tavarwa carna Tauresse.
      Osto Ondova carna Orontesse.
      Osto Olorwa carna Menelesse.

      A City made of Wood is built in the Forest.
      A City made of Stone is built in the Mountains.
      A City made of Dreams is built in Heaven.

      (Where it came from? I read above passage at
      a page introducing an online game...)
    • Kirsten Eivor Bekkhus
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 25, 2003
        Osto Tavarwa carna Tauresse.
        Osto Ondova carna Orontesse.
        Osto Olorwa carna Menelesse.

        A City made of Wood is built in the Forest.
        A City made of Stone is built in the Mountains.
        A City made of Dreams is built in Heaven.

        (Where it came from? I read above passage at
        a page introducing an online game...)

        I have no idea, maybe they just made it up. Anyway, doesn`t it really say "a city having wood is made in the Forest"...and so on? Maybe rather
        Osto carne taurina ortana ná Tauresse  (_ortana_, "rised" to vary from _carne_)
        Osto carne sarna ortana ná Orontisse (pl. mountains, _oronti_)
        Osto carne olóro ortana ná Menelesse

        Eivor

        What you do still betters what is done.
        When you speak sweet, I`d have you do it ever;
        when you sing, I`d have you buy and sell so; so give alms
                                                               A Winter`s Tale

      • Kai MacTane
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 25, 2003
          At 2/25/03 11:27 AM , Kirsten Eivor Bekkhus wrote:

          >Anyway, doesn`t it really say "a city having wood is made in the
          >Forest"...and so on?

          No; the first attested use of the _-va_ case was as a compositive, in
          _lisse-miruvóreva_ in _Namárie_. For a long time, that being the only
          attested use, scholars thought that maybe it was *only* a compositive case,
          until we found other uses as possessive and adjectival.

          But it can certainly still be used for "made of". Whether it undergoes
          dissimilation after words that already contain a V is another question
          entirely.

          --Kai MacTane
          "Fighting back the tears, mother reads the note again,
          Sixteen candles burn in her mind..."
          --Depeche Mode,
          "Blasphemous Rumours"
        • Kirsten Eivor Bekkhus
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 25, 2003
            Kai MacTane wrote:
            At 2/25/03 11:27 AM , Kirsten Eivor Bekkhus wrote:
            >>Anyway,
            doesn`t it really say "a city having wood is made in the
            >>Forest"...and so on?

            >No; the first attested use of the
            _-va_ case was as a compositive, in
            >_lisse-miruvóreva_ in _Namárie_. For
            a long time, that being the only
            >attested use, scholars thought that
            maybe it was *only* a compositive case,
            >until we found other uses as
            possessive and adjectival.

            >But it can certainly still be used for
            "made of". Whether it undergoes
            >dissimilation after words that already
            contain a V is another question
            <entirely.
            Oh, I see! That explains _ondova_. But _tavarwa_ and _olorwa_, seems more like something adjectival/posessive, and not really equivalent to "made of"...unless there is another thing I`m unaware of...??

            Eivor

            Though this be madness, yet there is method in`t.
            Will you walk out of the air, my lord?
                                                                 Hamlet

          • ingoliva_heru <ingoliva_heru@yahoo.es>
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 27, 2003
              Eivor Tencë:

              > Oh, I see! That explains _ondova_. But _tavarwa_ and _olorwa_,
              seems more like something adjectival/posessive, and not really
              equivalent to "made of"...unless there is another thing I`m unaware
              of...??

              Aiya!

              As far as I see _-va_ and _-wa_ are both endings of the adjetival-
              possessive case; the only difference between both of them is the fact
              that the 1st one is used when the noun finish with a vowel and the
              2nd one when the last letter of the noun is a consonant. Possible
              functions: possessive, compositive (the commented "made of"
              structure) and adjetive. The other use you made a reference of, with
              a sense of "having/possessing something", also exists in Quenya but
              the ending employed in this case is _-arwa__; anyway you can use this
              particle in its independent form followed by a noun in the genitive
              case.

              Nai ilya si nauva mára len (Hope all this will be useful to you),
              Ingóliva Heru
            • amanibhavam
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 3, 2003
                --- Kirsten Eivor Bekkhus <kieibek@...> wrote:
                > Kai MacTane wrote:
                > At 2/25/03 11:27 AM , Kirsten Eivor Bekkhus wrote:
                > >>Anyway, doesn`t it really say "a city having wood
                > is made in the
                > >>Forest"...and so on?
                >
                > >No; the first attested use of the _-va_ case was as
                > a compositive, in
                > >_lisse-miruv�reva_ in _Nam�rie_. For a long time,
                > that being the only
                > >attested use, scholars thought that maybe it was
                > *only* a compositive case,
                > >until we found other uses as possessive and
                > adjectival.
                >
                > >But it can certainly still be used for "made of".
                > Whether it undergoes
                > >dissimilation after words that already contain a V
                > is another question
                > <entirely.
                >
                > Oh, I see! That explains _ondova_. But _tavarwa_ and
                > _olorwa_, seems more like something
                > adjectival/posessive, and not really equivalent to
                > "made of"...unless there is another thing I`m
                > unaware of...??

                Laume. _olorwa_ ar _tavarwa_ _tear_ "made of wood and
                dream", anwave.

                Amanibhavam

                > Eivor

                > Though this be madness, yet there is method in`t.
                > Will you walk out of the air, my lord?
                >
                > Hamlet

                http://taxes.yahoo.com/
              • Kirsten Eivor Bekkhus
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 3, 2003
                  Amanibhavam tence:
                  > --- Kirsten Eivor Bekkhus <kieibek@...> wrote:
                  > > Oh, I see! That explains _ondova_. But _tavarwa_ and
                  > > _olorwa_, seems more like something
                  > > adjectival/posessive, and not really equivalent to
                  > > "made of"...unless there is another thing I`m
                  > > unaware of...??
                  >
                  > Laume. _olorwa_ ar _tavarwa_ _tear_ "made of wood and
                  > dream", anwave.

                  Ai nin. Lú raica inwistiva. Ento lú tecin ma, qui sanuvan *minya*.
                  Anwave, i ..nutengwi(?) quetë ilya:(

                  eivor
                  O Heavens! is`t possible a young maid`s
                  wits should be as mortal as an old mans life!
                  Hamlet