help

  • Forestwoman
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 23, 2003
      Hi!

      I cannot find the word "council" in the Quenya language. Does someone know
      how to say this word in Quenyan?

      also the word "of "

      Almië,
      Fëanáro Taurënís
    • Gildor Inglorion
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 23, 2003
        teithant Forestwoman

        > I cannot find the word "council" in the Quenya
        > language. Does someone know
        > how to say this word in Quenyan?

        ouch... Tolkien didn't provide us such a word, but I
        thought of *yohostie 'meeting, concentration (of many
        people), gathering' (cf. ahostar 'gather')

        or maybe *ertie 'union' (reconstructed from sindarin
        ertha-)

        > also the word "of "

        Quenya has a different grammar than english, and uses
        the genitive case to express 'of'

        so, 'yohostie Elerondo'

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 23, 2003
          --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "Forestwoman" <forestwoman@e...>
          wrote:
          > Hi!
          >
          > I cannot find the word "council" in the Quenya language. Does
          someone know
          > how to say this word in Quenyan?

          I think this may be translate as "yomenië" as a meeting of people
          from different places.

          > also the word "of "

          For what you are using the "of"?
        • briyo2289
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 26, 2003
            _
            is there a way I can make iltaminala (unforgiving) not sound so
            akward?
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 26, 2003
              --- briyo2289 <briyo2289@...> wrote:
              > _
              > is there a way I can make iltaminala (unforgiving)
              > not sound so
              > akward?

              Hm.. where did you get this word? To forgive,
              according to Tolkien's "Our Father" translation, is
              _apsen-_; "forgiving" would then be _aps�nala_;
              "unforgiving" - I'd vote for the negation prefix
              _ala-_ (see _alasaila_ _Alamanyar_), so _alaps�nala_.
              Does that sound better?

              =====
              Thomas Ferencz

              "S�ve or, tambe n�n."

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            • Carl F. Hostetter
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 26, 2003
                On Tuesday, August 26, 2003, at 04:27 PM, Atwe wrote:

                > To forgive, according to Tolkien's "Our Father" translation, is
                > _apsen-_; "forgiving" would then be _apsénala_; "unforgiving"

                First, note that the _attested_ stem -- i.e., the stem as actually
                given in Tolkien's writings -- is _apsene-_ 'remit, release, forgive'
                (VT43:18, VT44:23), not **_apsen-_. Second, this assertion assumes that
                _apsene-_ has the present participial stem *_apséna-_, which is not in
                evidence. Indeed, present participles like _itila_ 'twinkling,
                glinting' (XII:363), _hlápula_ *'flying or streaming in the wind'
                (MC:222-23), _fifírula_ *'slowly fading away' (ibid.), etc., show that
                other stem-vowels than _-a_ are possible in present participles. The
                present participle corresponding to _apsene-_ is thus, so far as I can
                see, at least as likely to be *_apsénela_ or *_apsenela_ or even
                *_apsenila_ as *_apsénala_.

                (In fact, _itila_ looks for all the world like it is built on an
                _aorist_, not present-tense, stem; and further note that the
                concomitantly attested verb-stem _ita-_ 'to sparkle' (XII:363) shows
                that _despite_ being an _a_-stem verb, this participle is _not_ formed
                on an _a_-stem. Perhaps Quenya had (at least at some stage of its
                conceptual development) not only present (proper) and past participles,
                but also aorist participles?)

                ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
                Ars longa, vita brevis.
              • briyo2289
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 26, 2003
                  --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, Atwe <percival64@y...> wrote:

                  > --- briyo2289 <briyo2289@y...> wrote:
                  > > _
                  > > is there a way I can make iltaminala (unforgiving)
                  > > not sound so
                  > > akward?
                  > >

                  > Hm.. where did you get this word? To forgive,
                  > according to Tolkien's "Our Father" translation, is
                  > _apsen-_; "forgiving" would then be _apsénala_;
                  > "unforgiving" - I'd vote for the negation prefix
                  > _ala-_ (see _alasaila_ _Alamanyar_), so _alapsénala_.
                  > Does that sound better?
                  >

                  > =====
                  > Thomas Ferencz
                  >
                  > "Síve or, tambe nún."

                  http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

                  sorry, your right i translated the wrong word thanks
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 27, 2003
                    --- "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

                    > On Tuesday, August 26, 2003, at 04:27 PM, Atwe
                    > wrote:

                    > First, note that the _attested_ stem -- i.e., the
                    > stem as actually
                    > given in Tolkien's writings -- is _apsene-_ 'remit,
                    > release, forgive'
                    > (VT43:18, VT44:23), not **_apsen-_.

                    You are right, of course, the stem is _apsene-_ ( I
                    wonder if Latin absolvere had any influence on this?)

                    Second, this
                    > assertion assumes that
                    > _apsene-_ has the present participial stem
                    > *_aps�na-_, which is not in
                    > evidence.

                    Well, it could be **aps�na only if it were apsen-,
                    wich it is not.

                    Thanks for the valuable correction!

                    =====
                    Thomas Ferencz

                    "S�ve or, tambe n�n."

                    http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                  • Carl F. Hostetter
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 27, 2003
                      On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 04:17 AM, Atwe wrote:

                      > --- "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Second, this assertion assumes that _apsene-_ has the present
                      >> participial stem *_apséna-_, which is not in evidence.
                      >
                      > Well, it could be **apséna only if it were apsen-, wich it is not.

                      Well let's not be too hasty! ;) It _might_ have such a participial
                      stem, if for no other reason than analogy; so I wouldn't go so far as
                      to label *_apsénala_ as erroneous.

                      ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
                      Ars longa, vita brevis.
                    • princess_quetta
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 5, 2005
                        Hello. I was wondering if anyone knows of a book or website that
                        illustrates the letters in script. I would like to learn to write
                        them that way, if possible. Thank you.
                      • Pityon Lastalon Mithrendir
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
                          Hey!

                          There is a very good site in Polish:
                          www.tengwar.art.pl
                          but you can also have a look at The Council of Elrond
                          www.councilofelrond.com
                          where you can find the courses and also download "Quenya Tengwar" in PDF
                          (first you will need to register for free and then in "My Account" you
                          will have acces to "Language Workbook" - "Quenya Tengwar" is just below
                          lesson 26)

                          Greetings!!!
                          P.
                          www.paxel.prv.pl