Re: [quenya] the bard's song

  • Kirsten Eivor Bekkhus
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2003

      Hello! I think you`d get more replies if you split up long poems like this instead of dropping all at once. It`s very much to go through..I just take the two first stanzas now, ok? The rest is following later:)

      Lindë i lindaro

      Tauressë

      The Bard’s Song

              In the Forest

      Sí ilyë ellë istea

      You mean _ellë_ as independent pronoun? Does not exist as far as we know. Using _ilya_ could mean "the entirety of you", so I`m not sure how to put it. I think I`d say _ilquen_, "everybody". Also it should be _istar_ (ista + plural)

      I lindar ar lindenta

      _lindintar_ (plural)

      Apa lumer avánier

      Íre _lúmi_, nouns ending in -e gets -i in plural. (_apa-_ only attested as prefix)

      Pahtuvan hendunyat

      _pahta- is an adjective. Ideas anyone?

      Ambarenna vahaia

      use locative: _ambaresse_

      Nai enomentuvalmë

      Nan sín á hlara lindenya

      So far _á hlara_ is ok, so i`m not picking, just an information: It`s being discussed weather primary verbs in imperative get ending in -a or -e, because both possibilities is found in Tolkien`s writings (he returned to -e in the end). The -a might be just an experiment or a hint of continuative. Someday maybe we`ll know for sure.

      I áro I lóme

      _lómeo_ - of the night

      á lira elmë lindë i lindaro

      I`m stuck on "let`s". Maybe _liruvalme_, "we will/shall sing"? Anyway I think not imperative is right here.

       Now You all know
      The bards and their songs
      When hours have gone by
      I'll close my eyes
      In a world far away
      We may meet again
      But now hear my song
      About (of) the dawn of the night
      Let's sing the bards' song

      Epaurë mentuva me oar

      There is a coinage _entarë_, but this seems ok too. Depending on your taste, maybe, "next day" or "after-day".

      Márello haira

      Úquen istuva esselma voro

      _ilquen voro istuva esselva_ (-lva - exclusive our names)

      Nan linder i lindaro eruva

      _lindi_

      Epaurë mentuva ta oar

      Caurë sinaurëo