[quenya] Olos Wilindyo

  • Didier Willis
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 14, 2000
      Melime nildor (ar nildi ?)

      Íre nessima, óla ninna heruo nyarnaron, quentaró
      parmaron nelde, hamila tálesse aldo, mi usque asearon
      róma-lóteva.

      Lenden entasse, vantala linque salquesse. Nán inye
      varya lá quete... Ananta quentéro "nyáre ya nyarnelye
      sermonnar: mára"

      Amaure tulle, calima anaróre, ar metyanes olorinya...

      Sí tecin nyarnar sermonyain.

      Ar elye, mana olos carnelye, yasse quentelye as
      Tolkien?

      Wilindyo.
      -- -

      Notes:

      _óla_ is impersonal according to UT, hence
      the oblique construct adopted here.
      *_as_ "with" (reconstructed from S. _ah_)
    • Helge K. Fauskanger
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 18, 2000
        > Melime nildor (ar nildi ?)
        Dear [male] friends (and [female] friends?)

        > Íre nessima, óla ninna heruo nyarnaron,
        When young, I dream [read dreamt?] about a lord of stories,

        > quentaró parmaron nelde,
        a narrator of three books,

        > hamila tálesse aldo, mi usque asearon róma-lóteva.
        sitting at the foot [read _talesse_] of a tree, in reek of [kings]foils of
        a horn-flower [???]

        > Lenden entasse, vantala linque salquesse.
        I went there, wandering in wet grass.

        > Nán inye varya lá quete...
        But I protect not speak.. [sic - read _verya_ for _varya_ and translate
        "but I *dare* not speak..."???]

        > Ananta quentéro "nyáre ya nyarnelye sermonnar: mára"
        And yet he said "[the] story that you told to friends: good"

        > Amaure tulle, calima anaróre, ar metyanes olorinya...
        Dawn [read amaurea] came, bright sunrise, and it put an end to my dream...

        > Sí tecin nyarnar sermonyain.
        Now I write stories for my friends.

        > Ar elye, mana olos carnelye, yasse quentelye as Tolkien?
        And you, what dream did you have (lit. make), where you spoke with Tolkien?

        > *_as_ "with" (reconstructed from S. _ah_)

        So you would read _Athrabeth Finrod ah [< *as] Andreth_ as "Finrod's debate
        WITH Andreth"?

        - Ainon
      • Ales Bican
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 18, 2000
          "Helge K. Fauskanger" wrote:

          > > Melime nildor (ar nildi ?)
          > Dear [male] friends (and [female] friends?)

          **Maybe we could use *_nilda_ (pl. _nildar_ for "friend" without
          determining sex - I've been wondering.

          _Ar, yee, istan sa sinome nissi (var 'wendi', intyala sa meril ta) nar yando_.

          ("And, yes, I think that here women (or 'girls', suppossing that you want it)
          are also.)

          > > Amaure tulle, calima anaróre, ar metyanes olorinya...
          > Dawn [read amaurea] came, bright sunrise, and it put an end to my dream...

          **_Amaurea_ looks alot as adj. I would also have said _amaure_ (_am-aure_
          "up-sunlight"?) is a noun.

          > > Ar elye, mana olos carnelye, yasse quentelye as Tolkien?
          > And you, what dream did you have (lit. make), where you spoke with Tolkien?

          **_Ahaarien laa oloore ve sina_. ("I have not had a dream like this.")

          > > *_as_ "with" (reconstructed from S. _ah_)

          **Why not to use attested _yo_?

          Alda

          --
          **trust in love to save (sunscreem, when)