Re: can anyone tell me is this is correct?

  • Just Ask Me! <annalyt@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 11, 2003
      i have read somewhere that '-lve' is 1st person dual(thou and I)
      and '-lme' is 1st person inclusive (including the person being
      spoken to) ...which one would be more appropriate do u think?

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 12, 2003
        check Helge's revision of his article on Quenya on
        www.ardalambion.com
        --- "Just Ask Me! <annalyt@...>"
        <annalyt@...> wrote:
        > i have read somewhere that '-lve' is 1st person
        > dual(thou and I)
        > and '-lme' is 1st person inclusive (including the
        > person being
        > spoken to) ...which one would be more appropriate do
        > u think?
        >

        > > _elve_ is also an independent pronoun,
        > correspondnig
        > > to the inclusive pronominal ending -lve, it is
        > just
        > > prefixed with _as_ a preposition meaning "with",
        > as
        > > Tolkien did it in his translation of Our Father
        > > (_aselye_ "with you"). You might also want to
        > write
        > > them separately, _as elve_, as there are
        > uncertainties
        > > how precisely Tolkien's handwriting should be
        > > interpreted.
        > > _as me_ also might be correct, but this does not
        > > denote inclusivity or exclusivity, I suppose.
        > > _messe_ would mean "in us", whereas _menen_ would
        > be
        > > "by means of us".
        > >
        > > M�ra mesta,
        > >
        > > Thomas

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Mórináro
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 12, 2003
          the difference is, -lvë is more along the lines of "you and me...us two
          (only)"..while -lmë means, "i and (all of) you, (reffering to two or more
          others)"...so, are you trying to say, "God is with us (two)", or "god is
          with us (all)"?

          Namárië! Nai Anar cálë tielyanna!
          -- Mórináro
          i have read somewhere that '-lve' is 1st person dual(thou and I)
          and '-lme' is 1st person inclusive (including the person being
          spoken to) ...which one would be more appropriate do u think?

          > _elve_ is also an independent pronoun, correspondnig
          > to the inclusive pronominal ending -lve, it is just
          > prefixed with _as_ a preposition meaning "with", as
          > Tolkien did it in his translation of Our Father
          > (_aselye_ "with you"). You might also want to write
          > them separately, _as elve_, as there are uncertainties
          > how precisely Tolkien's handwriting should be
          > interpreted.
          > _as me_ also might be correct, but this does not
          > denote inclusivity or exclusivity, I suppose.
          > _messe_ would mean "in us", whereas _menen_ would be
          > "by means of us".
          >
          > Mára mesta,
          >
          > Thomas

        • Jessica Enlund
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 13, 2003

             Thomas Ferencz <percival64@...> wrote:

            I beg your pardon?
            --- Jessica Enlund wrote:

            ingen aning!!...vet inte!!...varför frågar du meii???...-grrrr-

            > Thomas Ferencz wrote:
            > yes, it is
            > no idiea!!?
            >

            > Thomas
            > --- "Just Ask Me! "
            > wrote:
            > > hi everyone! i've been trying to translate 'God
            > with
            > > us' into Quenya
            > > and so far i've come up with this..'Eru aselve' is
            > > this correct?

            > Terms of Service.
            >

            > Gratis e-mail resten av livet på: www.yahoo.se/mail
            > Busenkelt!

            Gratis e-mail resten av livet på: www.yahoo.se/mail
            Busenkelt!

          • Carl F. Hostetter
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 6, 2003
              On Saturday, January 11, 2003, at 08:03 AM, Thomas Ferencz wrote:

              > You might also want to write them separately, _as elve_, as there are
              > uncertainties how precisely Tolkien's handwriting should be
              > interpreted.

              No, there really aren't. Helge wanted it to be **_as elye_ because he
              wanted intervocalic _s_ to go to _r_ everywhere. But such examples as
              _ósanwe_ had already shown that this was not the case; but further
              (unneeded) confirmation came in _Vinyar Tengwar_ 44: "An unpublished
              note from the 1960s states that this change [of intervocalic _s_ > _r_]
              did not occur when _s_ was followed by a stressed vowel (as presumably
              in _ósanwe_, stressed o:sánwe)" (VT44:20 n.4).

              ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
              Ars longa, vita brevis.