Re: [quenya] Re: Naa

  • Kai MacTane
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 28, 2002
      At 11/27/02 01:44 AM , Meldon wrote:

      >No, not too much information ;-) . But I have one more question (for
      >now anyway:-))
      >
      >In English you say 'you are' not '**you is'. So in Quenya do you say
      >_le naa_ / _naalye_
      >'you is'
      > or
      >_le nar_ / _narelye_ (I'm not sure about _narelye_).
      >'you are'

      The former: _nálye_. English's conjugation system is kind of deranged; the
      present-tense conjugation of "to be" looks like this:

      1sg I am 1pl we are
      2sg you are 2pl you are
      3sg he/she/it is 3pl they are

      So, "are" can sometimes be a plural existence (as on the right-hand
      column), but it isn't always; English happily uses "are" for a singular
      subject.

      >Or do you decide whether to use the plural depending how many people
      >you are talking to/about?

      That's it. Use _ná_ for anything singular, and _nar_ for anything plural.
      (And make sure not to confuse _nar_ with _nár_ "fire"!)

      >And also, is _le_ / _-lye_ / _-l_ useable
      >as both plural and singular like English 'you'?

      The 2pl in Quenya is somewhat unclear, and JRRT's (conflicting!) statements
      on the matter don't help any. It's possible that _elle_ / _-lle_ exists as
      a distinct 2pl pronoun, but I think it's also okay to omit that (since it's
      still a bit speculative) and use the _le_ / _-lye_ / _-l_ instead.

      --Kai MacTane
      "This trembling, adored,
      Tousled bird mad girl..."
      --The Cure,