[quenya] Re: To Learn/New Lurker

  • Ales Bican
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 13, 2000
      Shihali Ramichu wrote:

      > Aiya ilquenen! Cilmessenya naa Melde.

      **Aiya melda Melde. Naa vanima cenie vinya queen sinome teecala.
      (Hello dear Melde. It is beautiful to see new person here writing.)

      > Anaanye (can you put naa in the
      > perfect?)

      **Umimme ista. Ume antaina.
      (We don't know. It is not given.)

      > sinomesse

      **Er _sinome_, laa _sinomesse_.
      (Only _sinome_, not _sinomesse_.)

      > astalissen, nan er sii tuucan tece.

      **Nautanelye _tuuran_, intyan.
      (You thought _tuuran_ [I can], I guess.)

      > Uuvan tece uuve
      > tengwaron.

      **A teca, a teca, aiqua!
      (O write, o write, whatever!)

      > Now to the point of this message. I've noticed that Quenya seems to
      > have three stems for "to know", IST, NGOL, and SAY, but nothing for "to
      > learn"

      **_Tuve istya_ "finds/receives a knowledge" or _nete istya_ "gets a
      knowledge"? Or _noole_ "a wisdom"?

      > or "to study"

      **Could be a synonym of "to learn". Or _naa intyar_ "is a scholar"?

      > or "to teach".

      **_anta ista/istya/noole_ "gives a knowledge/wisdom"?

      > I'm still in school, and I want to
      > find or create a few Quenya words relevant to my school life. Can
      > anyone help me?

      **Look also at KHAN in Etym.

      Alda