Re: [quenya] A few verses in Quenya

  • Kai MacTane
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 19, 2002
      At 11/19/02 02:44 AM , Euphrasie Jupard wrote:
      >I've wrote a little poem in Quenya. I know it isn't perfect, and I
      >would like you to correct me. Thank you.
      >
      >Tecin tyen noanyar mi tengwassë

      Just _noanyar tengwasse_ or _noanyar mi tengwa_; when you use a
      preposition, the case ending is unnecessary. Also, _tengwa_ means "letter
      of the alphabet", not "message written on paper". For that, possibly _centa_?

      >Melin tecë.
      >Hlaran i surë i aldalissen

      These are fine, except for the lack of accents. If you can make the
      accents, then you can double the vowel:

      _Hlaaran i suure i aldalissen_

      >Rato i lomë paluva.

      _Palu-_ is :open wide, spread, extend, expand". Which is actually somewhat
      understandable in this case, but if you want to say the night will *come*,
      try _Rato i loome tuluva_.

      >Merin cenë Isil ar i eleni.
      >Melin i lomë. Tuvinyetas vanima.

      _Tuvinyes vanima_.

      >Merin quetë, merin lirë...
      >Ar tecan tyen.
      >Orenya hauta, merin lirë.

      _Oorenya hauta, merin fire_, if it's "I want to die".

      >[I can't write the accents]

      How is it you can do the umlauts but not the accents?

      --Kai MacTane
      "I hear the roar of a big machine,
      Two worlds and in between;
      Hot metal and methedrine.