A question of "of"

  • snoboe
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
      Hi all!

      I've been wondering about this for some time. In Quenya, how do you
      say "so-and-so OF such-and-such-a-place"? I know there is a Sindarin
      equivalent ("Celebrimbor *O* Eregion") but is there a way to say this
      in Quenya? I haven't been able to find anything on this, and I don't
      know whether I should be looking for a case ending or a seperate
      word. Any input will be appreciated! Thanks,

      ~Tarq
    • Gildor Inglorion
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
        teithant snoboe

        > I've been wondering about this for some time. In
        > Quenya, how do you
        > say "so-and-so OF such-and-such-a-place"? I know
        > there is a Sindarin
        > equivalent ("Celebrimbor *O* Eregion") but is there
        > a way to say this
        > in Quenya? I haven't been able to find anything on
        > this, and I don't
        > know whether I should be looking for a case ending
        > or a seperate
        > word. Any input will be appreciated! Thanks,

        yes, Quenya uses "cases" here.. this case needs the
        genitive case :)

        genitive is shown with the -o ending: lasse -> lasseo

        however, it replaces final -a: Varda -> Vardo (not Vardao)

      • snoboe
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2002
          That was what I originally thought, but I didn't see anything linking
          the genitive to place names... hmm. If you say so!