Re: [quenya] Digest Number 190

  • Vicente Velasco
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 10, 2002

      I often wondered why some people use the vinyakarme avarta- for "to forsake" when there is a perfectly suitable word already available IMO: hehta-: hehtante �carentar.

      Message: 1
      Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 13:34:34 -0000
      From: "Daniel Myers"
      Subject: Re: Nephi 3 & 4

      aiya!

      Well, this seems to have left the scope of my knowledge...

      Thank you Petri and Thomas for your input.
      I think i'll go ahead and use *_r�quet-_ "to prophesy",
      *_r�quetindo_ "prophet", and *_r�quetta_ "prophesy".

      Also, I'll use *_Yerusalen_ "Jerusalem", but what should I use for
      Zedekiah and Judah?
      Are there (even rough) guidelines for translating names?

      To replace the ugly *_�caravartante_ 'they repent', i'll use
      _avartante �carenta_ "they forsake their sins".

      For the record, I just realized that I left an unattested word off my
      list of "created/mishmashed" words in my original message:
      _yessesse_, constructed by Helge for his Genesis 1 translation.

      Are there suitable words for "must" and "destroyed"?

      So, after a (short) debate about the past tense of _tul-_, does it
      really matter which pa.t. i use? (_t�le_ or _tulle_?) I'd opt for
      _tulle_, but that's just because... well, i'm not sure why...

      i've got the next twelve verses almost completely translated, so when
      I finish this stupid assignment I'll post them...

      m�ra mesta.

      -Dan Myers

      faith.yahoo.com

    • Vicente Velasco
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 10, 2002

        I often wonder why some people use the vinyakarme *avarta- "to forsake" when there is a perfectly suitable word already available IMO: hehta- "put aside, exclude": hehtante �carentar.