help

  • kimberleighereve
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 29, 2002
      ok, i'm just learning quenya, so please help me out here.
      I'm looking for a word, and so far(the word is singificant/important)
      all i have come up with is tancol, but is that referring to the star,
      because right beside it it says something about Venus. Help me
      please, trying to get this all right. Thanks!
    • Gildor Inglorion
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 29, 2002
        etecie kimberleighereve

        > ok, i'm just learning quenya, so please help me out
        > here.
        > I'm looking for a word, and so far(the word is
        > singificant/important)
        > all i have come up with is tancol, but is that
        > referring to the star,
        > because right beside it it says something about
        > Venus. Help me
        > please, trying to get this all right. Thanks!

        the word you look for in Quenya is "important"?

        Venus is Earendil in Quenya

      • lordsme
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 29, 2002
          --- In quenya@y..., "kimberleighereve" <babyreve@h...> wrote:
          > ok, i'm just learning quenya, so please help me out here.
          > I'm looking for a word, and so far(the word is
          singificant/important)
          > all i have come up with is tancol, but is that referring to the
          star,
          > because right beside it it says something about Venus. Help me
          > please, trying to get this all right. Thanks!

          I've looked for this words but i couldn't find anything useful... i
          just can tell you to try to use another word... maybe something
          like "beloved" or "dear", that you can write using _melin_ or
          _melda_ ....

          Sorry :/
        • Forestwoman
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 23 7:51 AM
            Hi!

            I cannot find the word "council" in the Quenya language. Does someone know
            how to say this word in Quenyan?

            also the word "of "

            Almië,
            Fëanáro Taurënís
          • Gildor Inglorion
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 23 9:26 AM
              teithant Forestwoman

              > I cannot find the word "council" in the Quenya
              > language. Does someone know
              > how to say this word in Quenyan?

              ouch... Tolkien didn't provide us such a word, but I
              thought of *yohostie 'meeting, concentration (of many
              people), gathering' (cf. ahostar 'gather')

              or maybe *ertie 'union' (reconstructed from sindarin
              ertha-)

              > also the word "of "

              Quenya has a different grammar than english, and uses
              the genitive case to express 'of'

              so, 'yohostie Elerondo'

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 23 9:28 AM
                --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "Forestwoman" <forestwoman@e...>
                wrote:
                > Hi!
                >
                > I cannot find the word "council" in the Quenya language. Does
                someone know
                > how to say this word in Quenyan?

                I think this may be translate as "yomenië" as a meeting of people
                from different places.

                > also the word "of "

                For what you are using the "of"?
              • briyo2289
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 26, 2003
                  _
                  is there a way I can make iltaminala (unforgiving) not sound so
                  akward?
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 26, 2003
                    --- briyo2289 <briyo2289@...> wrote:
                    > _
                    > is there a way I can make iltaminala (unforgiving)
                    > not sound so
                    > akward?

                    Hm.. where did you get this word? To forgive,
                    according to Tolkien's "Our Father" translation, is
                    _apsen-_; "forgiving" would then be _aps�nala_;
                    "unforgiving" - I'd vote for the negation prefix
                    _ala-_ (see _alasaila_ _Alamanyar_), so _alaps�nala_.
                    Does that sound better?

                    =====
                    Thomas Ferencz

                    "S�ve or, tambe n�n."

                    http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                  • Carl F. Hostetter
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 26, 2003
                      On Tuesday, August 26, 2003, at 04:27 PM, Atwe wrote:

                      > To forgive, according to Tolkien's "Our Father" translation, is
                      > _apsen-_; "forgiving" would then be _apsénala_; "unforgiving"

                      First, note that the _attested_ stem -- i.e., the stem as actually
                      given in Tolkien's writings -- is _apsene-_ 'remit, release, forgive'
                      (VT43:18, VT44:23), not **_apsen-_. Second, this assertion assumes that
                      _apsene-_ has the present participial stem *_apséna-_, which is not in
                      evidence. Indeed, present participles like _itila_ 'twinkling,
                      glinting' (XII:363), _hlápula_ *'flying or streaming in the wind'
                      (MC:222-23), _fifírula_ *'slowly fading away' (ibid.), etc., show that
                      other stem-vowels than _-a_ are possible in present participles. The
                      present participle corresponding to _apsene-_ is thus, so far as I can
                      see, at least as likely to be *_apsénela_ or *_apsenela_ or even
                      *_apsenila_ as *_apsénala_.

                      (In fact, _itila_ looks for all the world like it is built on an
                      _aorist_, not present-tense, stem; and further note that the
                      concomitantly attested verb-stem _ita-_ 'to sparkle' (XII:363) shows
                      that _despite_ being an _a_-stem verb, this participle is _not_ formed
                      on an _a_-stem. Perhaps Quenya had (at least at some stage of its
                      conceptual development) not only present (proper) and past participles,
                      but also aorist participles?)

                      ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
                      Ars longa, vita brevis.
                    • briyo2289
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 26, 2003
                        --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, Atwe <percival64@y...> wrote:

                        > --- briyo2289 <briyo2289@y...> wrote:
                        > > _
                        > > is there a way I can make iltaminala (unforgiving)
                        > > not sound so
                        > > akward?
                        > >

                        > Hm.. where did you get this word? To forgive,
                        > according to Tolkien's "Our Father" translation, is
                        > _apsen-_; "forgiving" would then be _apsénala_;
                        > "unforgiving" - I'd vote for the negation prefix
                        > _ala-_ (see _alasaila_ _Alamanyar_), so _alapsénala_.
                        > Does that sound better?
                        >

                        > =====
                        > Thomas Ferencz
                        >
                        > "Síve or, tambe nún."

                        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

                        sorry, your right i translated the wrong word thanks
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 27, 2003
                          --- "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

                          > On Tuesday, August 26, 2003, at 04:27 PM, Atwe
                          > wrote:

                          > First, note that the _attested_ stem -- i.e., the
                          > stem as actually
                          > given in Tolkien's writings -- is _apsene-_ 'remit,
                          > release, forgive'
                          > (VT43:18, VT44:23), not **_apsen-_.

                          You are right, of course, the stem is _apsene-_ ( I
                          wonder if Latin absolvere had any influence on this?)

                          Second, this
                          > assertion assumes that
                          > _apsene-_ has the present participial stem
                          > *_aps�na-_, which is not in
                          > evidence.

                          Well, it could be **aps�na only if it were apsen-,
                          wich it is not.

                          Thanks for the valuable correction!

                          =====
                          Thomas Ferencz

                          "S�ve or, tambe n�n."

                          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                        • Carl F. Hostetter
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 27, 2003
                            On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 04:17 AM, Atwe wrote:

                            > --- "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >> Second, this assertion assumes that _apsene-_ has the present
                            >> participial stem *_apséna-_, which is not in evidence.
                            >
                            > Well, it could be **apséna only if it were apsen-, wich it is not.

                            Well let's not be too hasty! ;) It _might_ have such a participial
                            stem, if for no other reason than analogy; so I wouldn't go so far as
                            to label *_apsénala_ as erroneous.

                            ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
                            Ars longa, vita brevis.
                          • princess_quetta
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 5, 2005
                              Hello. I was wondering if anyone knows of a book or website that
                              illustrates the letters in script. I would like to learn to write
                              them that way, if possible. Thank you.
                            • Pityon Lastalon Mithrendir
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
                                Hey!

                                There is a very good site in Polish:
                                www.tengwar.art.pl
                                but you can also have a look at The Council of Elrond
                                www.councilofelrond.com
                                where you can find the courses and also download "Quenya Tengwar" in PDF
                                (first you will need to register for free and then in "My Account" you
                                will have acces to "Language Workbook" - "Quenya Tengwar" is just below
                                lesson 26)

                                Greetings!!!
                                P.
                                www.paxel.prv.pl