Re: [quenya] *Aiya, lwe...*

  • Helge K. Fauskanger
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 18, 2002
      > I mean "long for one who is absent"... And thank you for your input,
      > Kai. ;)

      Try _milya-_ "long for", then.

      As for the other possible meanings of "miss", I am not sure. "Miss" as the
      title of an unmarried female could perhaps be _vende_, "maiden". The idea
      of "fail to hit a target" is more difficult to translate.

      - HF
    • gbrudolph
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 20, 2002
        --- In quenya@y..., Kai MacTane <kmactane@g...> wrote:
        > At 8/17/02 11:42 AM , feline_scratches wrote:
        > >I was wondering if anyone knew the word "miss" in Quenya... ?

        > * long for one who is absent

        "Long for" is milya- in quenya.
      • feline_scratches
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 20, 2002
          Thanks ever so much!!! Is it the same in Sindarin?
          If anyone could explain to me the main differences between Quenya and
          Sindarin, I'd be truly grateful... I am a faithful Elvish student,
          and I'd really like to participate in conversation with some of you
          here, to try and learn more and hopefully get progressively fluent in
          this beautiful language... I'm on Yahoo! Messenger under this name,
          and also AIM as XxEnglanExX.

          Hantale au'! Tenna' telwan, Namaarie! ;)

          --- In quenya@y..., "gbrudolph" <rudo0056@u...> wrote:
          > --- In quenya@y..., Kai MacTane <kmactane@g...> wrote:
          > > At 8/17/02 11:42 AM , feline_scratches wrote:
          > > >I was wondering if anyone knew the word "miss" in Quenya... ?
          >
          > > * long for one who is absent
          >
          > "Long for" is milya- in quenya.
        • Kai MacTane
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 20, 2002
            At 8/20/02 06:01 AM , gbrudolph wrote:
            >--- In quenya@y..., Kai MacTane <kmactane@g...> wrote:
            > > At 8/17/02 11:42 AM , feline_scratches wrote:
            > > >I was wondering if anyone knew the word "miss" in Quenya... ?
            >
            > > * long for one who is absent
            >
            >"Long for" is milya- in quenya.

            True, but just plain "long for" can refer to that thing you're looking at
            in the window of the store. Doesn't necessarily imply something *absent*,
            just "not in your possession".

            Also, "miss" implies something that *was* present at some time, but is here
            no longer. "Long for" can apply to things that have never been: "I long for
            justice and peace for all people..."

            --Kai MacTane
            "Why can't I live a life for me?
            Why should I take the abuse that's served?
            Why can't they see they're just like me?
            I'm not the one that's so absurd!"
            --Ministry,
            "Every Day is
            Halloween"
          • Gildor Inglorion
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 20, 2002
              teithant feline_scratches

              > Thanks ever so much!!! Is it the same in Sindarin?

              not attested

              > If anyone could explain to me the main differences
              > between Quenya and
              > Sindarin, I'd be truly grateful... I am a faithful

              we could, if you could explain to us the difference
              between english and irish ;)))