Quenya/Tengwar Help Please.

  • merlyn_dc
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2002
      I have a basic question for anyone who can help me out.

      I've been studying quenya for several weeks now, and making strong
      progress.

      I recently starting exploring the written alphabet of tengwar.
      However, I noticed that there are multiple letters for the same
      sounds in Quenya.

      For instance:

      The Tengwar symbol 17 (N)umen seems indistinguishable to 19 (N)oldor
      The Tengwar symbol 21 o(R)e seems indistinguishable to 25 (R)omen
      The Tengwar symbol 29 (S) seems indistinguishable to 30 (S)
      The Tengwar symbol 31 (SS) seems indistinguishable to 31 (SS)

      I can't find any information on how to discern which to use when.
      This is causing me some confusion. Does anyone have a good reference
      or a good explanation?

      Much appreciated,
      David C (aka Rhamnus Woodlot)
    • Gildor Inglorion
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2002
        teithant merlyn_dc

        > The Tengwar symbol 17 (N)umen seems
        > indistinguishable to 19 (N)oldor

        Noldo is used for words that their initial n- was ng-
        (Tolkien writes it n with a tilde).. the name Noldo
        was once Ngoldo (cf. S. Golodh)... however in words
        like lambengolmo where ng is nor initial, you use
        Anga.. Noldo is used only initially (like Nwalme)

        > The Tengwar symbol 21 o(R)e seems indistinguishable
        > to 25 (R)omen

        Roomen is a trilled r, and is used between vowels

        > The Tengwar symbol 29 (S) seems indistinguishable to
        > 30 (S)
        > The Tengwar symbol 31 (SS) seems indistinguishable
        > to 31 (SS)

        the Nuquerne tengwar are used for convenience with the
        tehtar: you use them when a tehta must be placed above