Um...

  • snoboe
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2002
      Okay, I'm a bit nervous about posting this since I've been fiddling
      with it so long. It was like the first thing I ever wrote in Quenya:

      Unotimë eleni sílar or Ambar
      Calyar ilya alda ar ilya oron
      Ceninyë i vanyë i calimë eleni
      Tírala or ilyë lier nu Isil.

      There are a few things I'm not sure about. Any comments, anyone?
    • Kai MacTane
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2002
        At 7/1/02 02:52 PM , snoboe wrote:
        >Okay, I'm a bit nervous about posting this since I've been fiddling
        >with it so long. It was like the first thing I ever wrote in Quenya:
        >
        >Unotimë eleni sílar or Ambar
        >Calyar ilya alda ar ilya oron
        >Ceninyë i vanyë i calimë eleni
        >Tírala or ilyë lier nu Isil.
        >
        >There are a few things I'm not sure about. Any comments, anyone?

        What things are you uncertain about? Just to make sure we're on the same
        page, here's my translation of this into English:

        Unnumbered (uncountable? innumerable?) stars shine* over the World
        They light all trees and all mountains
        I see the beautiful, the bright stars
        Watching over all people under the Moon.

        * with a white or silvery light

        Now, the problems I see:

        In the second line, _ala_ and _oron_ should both be pluralized (and so
        should _ilya_, to correspond with them -- in this situation, _ilya_ is
        acting as an adjective).

        In the third line, I'm not sure if you meant to write "Ceninyë i vanyë ar
        calimë eleni" ("I see the beautiful and bright stars") -- if you did mean
        to use "the" (_i_) in both cases, then I'd insert the comma, as I've done
        in my translation.

        --Kai MacTane
        "Before you slip into unconsciousness,
        I'd like to have another kiss,