Re: [quenya] hi all!

  • Gildor Inglorion
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 12, 2002
      tence Elerran

      > this is my first mail to this list.I've tried to
      > translate a part from Blind Guardian's song Time
      > Stands Still.The part is the following (in
      > parenthesis are the words I used because I couldn't
      > find the translation of all the words).Take a look
      > and tell me what you think!Any ideas for the missing
      > words would be great.

      geia sou file Elerran.. paw stoixhma oti den perimenes
      na vreis allo ellhna edw, etsi? :)))

      i wont be able to help you with the poem but i can
      help you with tengwar

      > about Tengwar:can you tell me the differences
      > between
      > 17(nimen) and 19(noldo)

      Noldo is used when the initial n- is derived by
      earlier ng-.. the word Noldo itself was archaically
      pronounced Ngoldo.. as you understand, this letter is
      used only initially

      > 22(vala) and 24(vilya) (as far as v is concerned)

      Vilya is used for earlier w.. vala isused for earlier

      > 24(vilya) and 36(ire) (about w)

      Uure is used in diphthongs (au, eu etc)

      > 31(aze) and 32(aze nuquerna)

      aze and silme nuquerna are used when you need to place
      a tehta over them

      > for the word heru,should I use Tengwa 11 or Tengwa
      > 33 for h.I use 11.but the Tengscribe program uses 33

      yes.. atleast in late 3rd Age spelling.. Harma was
      used mainly medially and Hyarmen initially

      ta leme!!

    • Kai MacTane
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 12, 2002
        At 6/12/02 03:39 PM , Elerran wrote:

        >Lord of all Noldor
        >A star in the night
        >And a bearer of hope(light)

        Hope = estel.

        >Rides(goes) into his glorious battle(war :) alone
        >Farewell to the valiant(brave) warlord(warrior)
        >
        >Heru ilye Noldoron
        >Calacolindo,elen loomesse
        >Er vanyea alkarinqa ohtaryanna
        >Namaarie verya ohtaren

        For congruence with the original, I'd make the second line:

        Elen lómesse ar colindo estelo

        Otherwise, it looks good -- except that I suggest you pick either old,
        Qenya-style spelling (k, q) or new-style Quenya spelling (c, qu) and stick
        with it.

        --Kai MacTane
        "Uh-oh... Gravity works."
        --Batty Koda, "Ferngully"