How Do You Say "How Do You Say X in Quenya" in Quenya?

  • Kai MacTane
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2002
      At 2/28/02 10:38 PM , =?iso-8859-7?q?Gildor=20Inglorion?= wrote:
      >teithant Jesse White
      >
      > > manan na i-quetta an "hello" quenyasse
      >
      >* aiya

      I see you got there before me, Gildor. _Márave carina!_ But I would like to
      mention a point or two about the question itself.

      "How" is _manen_, not _**manan_.

      You don't really want to say something "in" Quenya, so much as to say it
      *using* Quenya (i.e., "through the instrumentality of Quenya"). So the
      instrumental case instead of the locative is appropriate: _Quenyanen_.

      I'm not sure why the use of _an_ or _i-_. For "how do you say", I suspect
      the infinitive is workable. So I think you could just say, "Manen quete
      'hello' Quenyanen?". If the infinitive isn't really doable, then "Manen
      quetal 'hello' Quenyanen?" should do the trick.

      (I was pondering exactly this question earlier today.)

      --Kai MacTane
      "When nothing's sacred any more,
      When the demon's knocking on your door,
      You're still staring down at the floor."
      --The Chameleons UK,
      "Swamp Thing"