Re: [quenya]

  • Gildor Inglorion
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2002
      teithant Jesse White

      > manan na i-quetta an "hello" quenyasse

      * aiya

    • Kai MacTane
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1 1:00 AM
        At 2/28/02 10:38 PM , =?iso-8859-7?q?Gildor=20Inglorion?= wrote:
        >teithant Jesse White
        >
        > > manan na i-quetta an "hello" quenyasse
        >
        >* aiya

        I see you got there before me, Gildor. _Márave carina!_ But I would like to
        mention a point or two about the question itself.

        "How" is _manen_, not _**manan_.

        You don't really want to say something "in" Quenya, so much as to say it
        *using* Quenya (i.e., "through the instrumentality of Quenya"). So the
        instrumental case instead of the locative is appropriate: _Quenyanen_.

        I'm not sure why the use of _an_ or _i-_. For "how do you say", I suspect
        the infinitive is workable. So I think you could just say, "Manen quete
        'hello' Quenyanen?". If the infinitive isn't really doable, then "Manen
        quetal 'hello' Quenyanen?" should do the trick.

        (I was pondering exactly this question earlier today.)

        --Kai MacTane
        "When nothing's sacred any more,
        When the demon's knocking on your door,
        You're still staring down at the floor."
        --The Chameleons UK,
        "Swamp Thing"