Aiya!

  • almie_elenwe
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 13, 2002
      Aiya meldor,

      Naan vinya 'Quenya'sse. Umin hanya lambe Eldaiva maarave, er meruvan
      harya lambenoole... Merin pole quete ar tece Quenya, an Quenya naa
      vanima lambe!

      Cilmessenya naa Almie Elenwe

      Namaarie!

      Almie
    • Jessica Vazquez
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 12, 2002
        Aiya Aranel! Essinya Cenerue (Hi Sadie! My name is Cenerue) I suggest you go to the Ardalambion website because they have a Quenya course you can actually download and it's marvelous! I'm still only learning myself and I'm also new to this email group. Just go to www.Ardalambion.com and it will help you! They also have a word list and lotsa other neat stuff! Enjoy!

        Cenerue

        --- message from "Sadie" <smashingsadie@...> attached:

        A free email account your friends will never forget!
        Get YOURNAME@... at http://www.emailaccount.com/

        Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you@... w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag
      • ingoliva_heru <ingoliva_heru@yahoo.es>
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 12, 2003
          Aiya ilyë meldor lambion Tolkieno!

          Nan vinya sinómë. Merin polë quetë quenya yo ilyë elyë istien quetë
          mára vanya lambé sina. Lú manassë nalyë queten-sambessë? Nai ilquen
          poluva hanya quettanyar. Tenna rato,

          Ingóliva Heru
        • Jessica Enlund
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 13, 2003

             "ingoliva_heru <ingoliva_heru@...>" <ingoliva_heru@...> wrote:

            Aiya ilyë meldor lambion Tolkieno!

            Nan vinya sinómë. Merin polë quetë quenya yo ilyë elyë istien quetë
            mára vanya lambé sina. Lú manassë nalyë queten-sambessë? Nai ilquen
            poluva hanya quettanyar. Tenna rato,

            Ingóliva Heru

            hi!

            i cant speak guenya....yet...:(...but i hope i´m gonna learn som day! but i don´t know how i´ve been trying to find a place i can leran quenya but i havent found any good places!!:(...bye!

            Gratis e-mail resten av livet på: www.yahoo.se/mail
            Busenkelt!

          • Gildor Inglorion
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 13, 2003
              teithant Jessica Enlund

              www.ardalambion.com

              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 14, 2003
                Hi!

                I've not been learning quenya so much but I've got some skills.
                Learning quenya it's not diffcult. However it's very important the
                fact you're ready to consacrate some time. For me, and for the most
                of quenya "speakers" (best "readers/writers"), the Fauskanger's
                course is the best way to achieve a good level of quenya. You can get
                it in www.ardalambion.com . Hope it'll be useful.

                Tenna rato (see you),
                Ingóliva Heru
              • Nibinaraniel
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 20, 2003
                  I am in need of a few good members to join my woodelf society. Please
                  contact me to join! I wish it were better, so I need suggestions.
                  Forgive my English!!!
                  Namaarie,
                  Nibinaraniel
                  birdgurl17@...
                • Jenna-Lee Walsh

                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 21, 2003
                      I'm here for few minutes... But I'm also in Elfling group. It's
                      enormous so I decided to join this group, too. (I thought about it
                      for a long time, that means I will have e-mails about Q separately,
                      not that I will answer all).
                      BTW, should I write vende or wende (differences in pronouncation).
                      Hantalle.
                    • Gildor Inglorion
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 21, 2003
                        teithant sirielelenion

                        > BTW, should I write vende or wende (differences in
                        > pronouncation).

                        I don't know if vende is attested from Tolkien's
                        workds or a speculation of Helge... wende is supposed
                        to be more archaic, and according to Helge, it should
                        be pronunced vende in Frodo's time

                      • Patrick H. Wynne
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 21, 2003
                          Gildor Inglorion wrote:

                          > teithant sirielelenion
                          >
                          > > BTW, should I write vende or wende (differences in
                          > > pronouncation).
                          >
                          > I don't know if vende is attested from Tolkien's
                          > workds or a speculation of Helge... wende is supposed
                          > to be more archaic, and according to Helge, it should
                          > be pronunced vende in Frodo's time

                          Hey, here's a radically different way to approach this
                          question, only rarely attempted on the Internet nowa-
                          days -- let's actually look at _Tolkien's own writings_
                          and see what _Tolkien_ had to say, instead of what
                          _Helge_ says. It's a wacky and strange idea, I know,
                          but it could be fun!

                          In the list of the Quenya names of the Tengwar in
                          Appendix E of _The Lord of the Rings_, the name of
                          Tengwa 24 is given as "_vilya_ air, sky (older _wilya_)"
                          (LR:1096). _vilya_ does not appear in the _Etymolo-
                          gies_, but it is clearly from the root WIL- 'fly, float in
                          air' (V:398). The _Etym._ also gives Q. _wende_, _vende_
                          'maiden' < WED-, WENED- (V:398). Taken together
                          with the comment in Appendix E that _wilya_ is the
                          "older" form of _vilya_ 'air, sky', it seems a logical con-
                          clusion that _wende_ 'maiden' is an earlier form, later
                          _vende_. Such paired forms in _w-/v-_ are not un-
                          common in the _Etym._, for example _vaiwa_, _waiwa_
                          'wind' and _ván_, _wán_ 'goose' (V:397).

                          The form _wende_ is used in Tolkien's Quenya trans-
                          lation of the Litany of Loreto, in the phrase _Wende mi
                          Wenderon_ 'Virgin of virgins' (VT44:12), which dates
                          to sometime in the 1950s (see VT43:6-7). Perhaps
                          this indicates that the older forms in _w-_ (_wende_,
                          _wilya_, _wán_, etc.) continued in use beside the
                          later forms in _v-_, though I don't think Tolkien was
                          consistent on this point. I'm sure there is much more
                          that could be gleaned from Tolkien's published
                          writings on this issue. I encourage you to turn off
                          your computers, grab a couple books by Tolkien, and
                          take a look.

                          -- Patrick H. Wynne
                        • Tom Killingbeck
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 25, 2003
                            Melda ilye,
                            Ma aiquen nete mentalenya?
                            Onoono

                            (Dear all,)
                            (Did anyone get my message?)
                            (Onoono)
                          • Mark A Miles
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 26, 2003
                              On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Tom Killingbeck wrote:

                              > Melda ilye,
                              > Ma aiquen nete mentalenya?
                              > Onoono
                              >
                              > (Dear all,)
                              > (Did anyone get my message?)
                              > (Onoono)

                              Which message?

                              -Mark
                            • Tom Killingbeck
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 26, 2003
                                Which message?

                                -Mark

                                The one that included these pieces of work that it doesn't seem like
                                I can get anyone to comment on... is there nothing wrong with them?
                                Is there no area I can grow in? I would love some advice, and some
                                help at making my Quenya better. Thanks,
                                Onoono

                                Minya:
                                [First:]

                                Ant' alcar Ataren, ar Yondon, ar Ainasúlen, ve nes yessessë, ná sín,
                                ar nauva tennoio. Nasië.
                                [I saw David Chapman's "Two Christian Prayers" on a web page,
                                published on the ELFLING list in April 2001, and was intrigued by
                                them. I thought though, that maybe there was something about that
                                whole "glory be" line that needed work. So I composed my own
                                translation of the second one (I thought the first was very good, and
                                I liked the idea of using the instrumental case.)]

                                Attëa:
                                [Second:]

                                Nai mallë ortuva lenna / Nai súrë tuluva tennoio aldamolyallo / Nai
                                Anar caluva laucavë antalyanna / Nai i mistë lantuva moicavë
                                lairelyannar / Ar mennai enovantalmë / Nai Eru tiruva le cambessë
                                máryo.

                                ["May the road rise to meet you / May the wind be always at your
                                back / May the sun shine warm upon your face / May the rain fall soft
                                upon your fields / And until we meet again / May God hold you in the
                                palm of his hand." I heard this in a song and thought that it would
                                be really nice in Quenya, so I tried my hand at translating it.]

                                Neldëa:
                                [Third:]

                                Linduvan len i lírë laitalëo
                                Eruo ar vanya melmerya
                                Linduvanyes i yómeniessë
                                Írë nanyë quildë sarnessë

                                Linduvanyes i hellion
                                Ambaren ar i lien
                                Linduvanyes ve i lóma
                                Ter oromarderyassen
                                Nauvas yellonya sinomë
                                Auressë entulelyë
                                Írë tultalyenyë tyulë
                                Quildevë yánalyassë

                                Ai, quetuvanyel sérë ar melmë
                                Quettar Eruo nin quetina
                                Ar sí nauvas quetina len yando
                                Ter unqualë yoldoryo cuilen

                                Linduvanyes i hellion
                                Tenna Mornië-metta
                                Linduvanyes ve i lóma
                                I lurëa fanyaren
                                Nauvas yellonya sinomë
                                Ve sornë or i súrë
                                San Eru yaluva elvë
                                Quildevë yánaryanna

                                [Notes: This is an original piece entitled "Lírë Laitalëo", one that
                                I spend several hours on. I have not done really well with the metre
                                or anything, but I have tried to make it as uniform as I can. I
                                would love your thoughts on it, however. Now the questions: Is there
                                any shorter way of saying "praise" as a noun? Are there any rules
                                pertaining to the use of the article in poetry? "Shout of triumph" is
                                a nice word, but is there a verb form of it? I am not sure about the
                                use of "hellë" or its questionable dativity as "hellion". Is this a
                                valid Quenya word for "sky"?]
                              • amanibhavam
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 27, 2003
                                  --- Tom Killingbeck <tntkillingbeck@...> wrote:

                                  C� enge l� nanquetta mentalyanna an ananda nes... M�ra
                                  nas anda mentar cilien.

                                  > Minya:
                                  > [First:]
                                  >
                                  > Ant' alcar Ataren, ar Yondon, ar Ainas�len, ve nes
                                  > yessess�, n� s�n,
                                  > ar nauva tennoio. Nasi�.

                                  You do not post the English, sadly. But if you use the
                                  pronominal suffix -s in _nes_, why not in _n�_ and
                                  _nauva_ also? They refer to the same subject "as it
                                  was, is and will be_ I presume.

                                  tuva lenna / Nai s�r� tuluva tennoio
                                  > aldamolyallo

                                  This to me means "May the wind come from your back
                                  forever". Why ablative?

                                  / Nai
                                  > Anar caluva laucav� antalyanna / Nai i mist� lantuva
                                  > moicav�
                                  > lairelyannar / Ar mennai enovantalm�

                                  _mennai_ is rather old; _tenna_ might be a better
                                  choice (You've used it yourself in tennoio)

                                  / Nai Eru
                                  > tiruva le cambess�
                                  > m�ryo.

                                  a possibility for "hold" could be cep- from Sindarin
                                  ceb- (�-chebin Estel anim)

                                  > Neld�a:
                                  > [Third:]
                                  >
                                  > Linduvan len i l�r� laital�o
                                  > Eruo ar vanya melmerya
                                  > Linduvanyes i y�meniess�
                                  > �r� nany� quild� sarness�
                                  >
                                  > Linduvanyes i hellion
                                  > Ambaren ar i lien
                                  > Linduvanyes ve i l�ma
                                  > Ter oromarderyassen
                                  > Nauvas yellonya sinom�
                                  > Auress� entulely�
                                  > �r� tultalyeny� tyul�
                                  > Quildev� y�nalyass�
                                  >
                                  > Ai, quetuvanyel s�r� ar melm�
                                  > Quettar Eruo nin quetina
                                  > Ar s� nauvas quetina len yando
                                  > Ter unqual� yoldoryo cuilen
                                  >
                                  > Linduvanyes i hellion
                                  > Tenna Morni�-metta
                                  > Linduvanyes ve i l�ma
                                  > I lur�a fanyaren
                                  > Nauvas yellonya sinom�
                                  > Ve sorn� or i s�r�

                                  It is always a good thing to post your intended
                                  meaning.

                                  Bye,

                                  Thomas
                                  > San Eru yaluva elv�
                                  > Quildev� y�naryanna

                                  =====
                                  -----
                                  Thomas Ferencz "Suddenly it strikes you that they're moving into range
                                  and Doctor Strange is always changing size."

                                  (Pink Floyd: Cymbaline)

                                  http://search.yahoo.com
                                • Tom Killingbeck
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 28, 2003
                                    Thank you for your help. There were several little things that
                                    needed work, so thank you for pointing them out to me!

                                    Ant' alcar Ataren, ar Yondon, ar Ainasúlen, ve nes yessessë, nas sín,
                                    ar nauvas tennoio. Nasië.

                                    > You do not post the English, sadly. But if you
                                    > use the pronominal suffix -s in _nes_, why not in
                                    > _ná_ and _nauva_ also? They refer to the same
                                    > subject "as it was, is and will be_ I presume.

                                    Literal translation: "Give glory to the Father, and to the Son, and
                                    to the Holy Spirit, like it was in the beginning, is now, and will be
                                    forever. Amen."

                                    Nai súrë tuluva tennoio aldamolyallo

                                    > This to me means "May the wind come from your back
                                    > forever". Why ablative?

                                    The English words go "May the wind be always at your back." I
                                    couldn't work out a translation of that, based on my rather limited
                                    understanding of Quenya - especially in regards to "at"!

                                    Here is the English translation of the poem, as far as it goes…

                                    Linduvan len i lírë laitalëo I will sing the song of praise
                                    Eruo ar vanya melmerya Of Eru and his beautiful love
                                    Linduvanyes i yómeniessë I will sing it in the gathering
                                    Írë nanyë quildë sarnessë When I am in the quiet place

                                    Linduvanyes i hellion I will sing it to the skies
                                    Ambaren ar i lien To the Earth and to the people
                                    Linduvanyes ve i lóma I will sing it like the trumpet blast
                                    Ter oromarderyassen Through his lofty halls
                                    (I'm not sure why I used the locative here - but I need an extra
                                    syllable!)
                                    Nauvas yellonya sinomë It will be my shout of triumph (here)
                                    Auressë entulelyë In the day (when) you return
                                    Írë tultalyenyë tyulë When you summon me to stand
                                    Quildevë yánalyassë Quietly in your sanctuary

                                    Ai, quetuvan len sérë ar melmë Oh, I will speak to you peace and love
                                    Quettar Eruo nin quetina Words of Eru to me spoken
                                    Ar sí nauvas quetina len yando And now it will be spoken to you also
                                    Ter unqualë yoldoryo cuilen Through the death of his son for life

                                    Linduvanyes i hellion I will sing it to the skies
                                    Tenna Mornië-metta Until the end of the Darkness
                                    Linduvanyes ve i lóma I will sing it like the trumpet blast
                                    I lúrëa fanyaren Against the darkening skies
                                    Nauvas yellonya sinomë It will be my shout of triumph here
                                    Ve sornë or i súrë Like the eagle over the wind
                                    San Eru yaluva elvë Then Eru will call us
                                    Quildevë yánaryanna Quietly into His sanctuary

                                    Thank you again for your help. And I apologise for the size of the
                                    post!

                                    Ta,
                                    Onóno
                                  • dmroberson3
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 18, 2004
                                      Aiya! Inyë nar vinya ar inyë merë na ista ma i Quenya cari an (these) quett=
                                      ar.

                                      was
                                      journey (noun)
                                      am
                                      will (e.g. I will jump off of a cliff)
                                      came (e.g. ...dream of the ones who came...)
                                      these

                                      ~Meldon~
                                    • dmroberson3
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Aug 20, 2004
                                        Nevermind, I found out the translations.
                                      • Daniel Salta
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 10, 2005
                                          Heran hanta an mápalyë inyë minna hostië sina.
                                          ["I am grateful (have gratitude) for your taking me into this group
                                          (gathering)." is my Quenya good enough? I'm pretty new to using it, so
                                          I am usually unsure of my grammar.]

                                          ~Erunámo Capetyë
                                          [Daniel Salta ("Salta" is Spanish (I am from the Philippines) for "you
                                          jump" (as far as I know), so "cap-"<jump>+"-ë"<aorist tense
                                          suffix>+"-t"<2nd person subject suffix> -- please, correct me if I am
                                          wrong.)]