Re: [quenya] Re: I Risil Anamo

  • Amelia Imperatrix
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 12, 2002
      > Rithil-Anamo "Ring of Doom", translation of the foreign word Máhanaxar
      that
      > was adopted and adapted from Valarin. Likely *Risil-Anamo in Exilic Quenya
      > (WJ:401)

      Rithil-Anamo doesn't mean Frodo's ring, it means the Ring of Doom where the
      Valar meet. I think the word for the kind of ring you wear is corma.

      > P.S. (I took some liberties making it rhyme, so mahalmaryo is in the
      > genitive, not the locative, for purely poetic reasons. It still makes
      sense.
      > Nuvitat should be nutitat, though. Just wishful thinking...)

    • Nathan Roy
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 20, 2002
        >Rithil-Anamo doesn't mean Frodo's ring, it means the Ring of Doom where the
        >Valar meet. I think the word for the kind of ring you wear is corma.

        Dang! Of course, I knew that... Change risil to corma, then, even though
        it's a more boring word. How about the actual grammar of my translation? It
        really it too bad all of Tolkien's papers haven't been published, because I
        would love to have an official resource for confirming my attempts. Speaking
        of which... I'm still trying on the New Testament. Could someone provide a
        little info on how to change names into Quenya phonology? Is it David to
        Lavit, Nahshon to Nahhyon, Azor to Assor? The sounds in question are b d g
        sh z and ch. Also, when a name ends in -ah is it to be realized as simply -a
        in Quenya? Whatever... Thanks for any info. Oh... and sorry for not writing
        this in Quenya! (I forgot that's what this list is for.) Sincerely,

        Cuiviendil
        Nathan Roy