Quetta Quenyo rá "betrayal"?

  • Christopher Köbel
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1 5:21 AM
      Aiya!

      Lá polin hire "betrayal" var "treason" - ma lá ecenienyes var úmar i
      quettar?
      (I couldn't find "betrayal" or "treason" - didn't I see it or don't
      these words exist?)

      Hantanyel!
      (I thank you!)

      --
      Erucolindo (Christopher)
    • Patrick H. Wynne
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1 10:57 AM
        --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Köbel <fora@...> wrote:

        > (I couldn't find "betrayal" or "treason" - didn't I see it or don't
        > these words exist?)

        So far as I know, there is no attested Quenya word for 'betrayal' or 'treason'.

        However, the _Etymologies_ gives a base WAR- 'give way, yield, not endure,
        let down, betray' with a variety of Old Noldorin and Exilic Noldorin derivatives,
        including ON _warie_ 'betray, cheat', EN _gwerio_ 'betray', and EN _gwarth_
        'betrayer' (V:397). This last word appears in the name _Ulwarth_, which must
        mean *'horrible betrayer' (the first element is from ÚLGU, a variant of ÚLUG-
        *'hideous, horrible'; V:396).

        The Etymologies entry for WAR- implies (but does not flatly state) that this
        root was not used in Quenya. For neo-Quenya purposes, one could, I
        suppose, nonetheless press it into service and coin an abstract noun such
        as *_varme_, *_varie_, *_varale_, etc. (= 'betrayal').

        -- Patrick H. Wynne
      • mark_saguimo18
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6 8:59 AM
          i'm not sure is this the one for betrayal...i just look for the common
          word for betray... that is trick...so i look in my quenya dictionary:

          TRICK (noun) "rinca" (twitch, jerk, sudden move) -VT46:11 cf. RIK(H)
          i hope this can help you even though i don't know how to speak quenya