Re: [quenya] About Quenya

  • chris waner
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 14, 2006
      Burcu-

      If I were a student linguist, I would love to hear a lecture on Quenya or an
      "artificial" language. Just because the language is "artificial" does not
      mean it is not important. Take Espanoza (sp?) for example, it is a made up
      language but is now spoken by many people and has evolved over the years
      much the way a real language does.

      You could also try a Sindarin and Quenya mix which would be called "Elvish"
      but as Nathan said there are many abscure rules and the language is
      "unfinished" for lack of a better term. Also, new information is released
      by the Tolkien estate every month, that supports, or totally changes what
      rules are in place. You can use clips from the "Lord of the Rings Movies"
      There are plenty of clips in the extended versions that would make for an
      interesting speech.

      If you feel unconfortable about Quenya or Sindarin you might try going to
      google.com and type conlang for more "CONstructed LANGuages"

      ///chris

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 15, 2006
         I don't think that you need to go as far as Quenya to find something that your instructor doesn't know. Anyone, no matter how well studied, will have a language or two with which he is unfamiliar.
         As for utility, it's overated. If you like it, if it challenges you, if it inspires you, then it's good; utility be damned. But it is critical that you have the confidence to present your chosen language as though it were the very greatest thing in the world, which is tough if your audience is sold on utility.
         In my experience, most people never make use of the languages that they learn, natural or artificial, alive or dead. So why learn Quenya?