About Quenya

  • burcuzor
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 12 3:02 PM
      Hi,
      I am Burcu, from Turkey. This term I have been attending to
      comparative lingüusitics course in my college here, and this will be
      the first time that a student will talk about an artificial language.
      My instructor expects a lot from me! :-)
      I have decided to lecture on Quenya and wondered whether you have any
      records about the language. I have found an mp3, Tolkien reading a
      poem, but not more than it :(
      Would you like to help me with my project by just posting a few
      records or site names where I can download interesting audio-visual
      things related to the topic?
      Many thanx.
    • chris waner
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 12 7:08 PM
        for sound clips you might try the Ardalambion website:

        http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/

        towards the bottom, there is a link titled Elvish Pronounciation Guide.
        these have been the only sound recordings I have found besides the Tolkien
        poem recital you mentioned earlier.

        also you might try

        www.council-of-elrond.com
        or the elfling yahoo group.

        good luck with your project...

        ///cwaner

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 13 9:16 PM
           Hello Burcu,
           My name is Nathan. I am not from Turkey. I live in North Carolina, one of the united States of America.
           Most students of Quenya that I know got started by taking a particular Quenya course. You can find it by going to:

           When you get there scroll down to "Other Resources" and the very first one will be the Quenya Course.
           I must warn you that Quena is not the easiest of the, as you put it, artificial languages. Dr. Tolkein had a way of changing his mind from time to time which can cause a great deal of confusion for those of us who wish to study his work. Also, Quenya has certain naturalistic quirks that the good professor put in to make it feel more like a real language. They do make it feel real but don't make it easy to learn.
           Don't let me scare you though. I think that it's wonderful that you mean to learn about Quenya. Please let me/us know how we can help.
           Nathan

          burcuzor <burcuzor@...> wrote:
          Hi,
          I am Burcu, from Turkey. This term I have been attending to
          comparative lingüusitics course in my college here, and this will be
          the first time that a student will talk about an artificial language.
          My instructor expects a lot from me! :-)
          I have decided to lecture on Quenya and wondered whether you have any
          records about the language. I have found an mp3, Tolkien reading a
          poem, but not more than it :(
          Would you like to help me with my project by just posting a few
          records or site names where I can download interesting audio-visual
          things related to the topic?
          Many thanx.

        • Burcu ZOR
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 14 12:36 AM
            Dear Nathan and Chris;

            Thanks for your help. As I have mentioned before, I am attending the Comperative Linguistics course. In this course, each student is expected to choose a language, and prepare a 45' presentation on that language. We are to talk about its case, tenses, verbs, etc. Actually what I have been looking for exists in the great source that you have written. Thank u :-)

            My concern is that the students may not be as much interested as I am on this topic. That is why, I will have to keep it very simple, which makes my job more difficult because it is really hard to make it in a simple way. Therefore, I got to find audio-visual aids to make my presentation more attractive. Aren't there any sources expect the Dr.Tolkien's poem on net? A song or a video or a dialogue? (Can you pronounce it accurately by the way? It reaally seems difficult.)  Can I also find that poem's English translation? Do you think I should really present Quenya or Sindarin or should I change my topic to any other language? The fact that everyone wants to learn some about the language that they can use makes me disappointed. Most of them think that Quenya, Sindarin or any other artificial languages, in the linguistics sense, (since I will become a linguist :) are of no use. I just want to present a thing that even our instructor does not know, so that I will really be able to teach something.

            Thanks again for your help,
            Burcu

          • chris waner
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 14 5:59 PM
              Burcu-

              If I were a student linguist, I would love to hear a lecture on Quenya or an
              "artificial" language. Just because the language is "artificial" does not
              mean it is not important. Take Espanoza (sp?) for example, it is a made up
              language but is now spoken by many people and has evolved over the years
              much the way a real language does.

              You could also try a Sindarin and Quenya mix which would be called "Elvish"
              but as Nathan said there are many abscure rules and the language is
              "unfinished" for lack of a better term. Also, new information is released
              by the Tolkien estate every month, that supports, or totally changes what
              rules are in place. You can use clips from the "Lord of the Rings Movies"
              There are plenty of clips in the extended versions that would make for an
              interesting speech.

              If you feel unconfortable about Quenya or Sindarin you might try going to
              google.com and type conlang for more "CONstructed LANGuages"

[...]

              countries) for 2�/min or less.
            • Nathan Foreman
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 15 3:26 PM
                 I don't think that you need to go as far as Quenya to find something that your instructor doesn't know. Anyone, no matter how well studied, will have a language or two with which he is unfamiliar.
                 As for utility, it's overated. If you like it, if it challenges you, if it inspires you, then it's good; utility be damned. But it is critical that you have the confidence to present your chosen language as though it were the very greatest thing in the world, which is tough if your audience is sold on utility.
                 In my experience, most people never make use of the languages that they learn, natural or artificial, alive or dead. So why learn Quenya?