Help is this translated properly?

  • balroghead
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2006
      I want to have a tattoo that says

      The Crowned and Dark One
      ( Possible variance on just "Crowned and Dark One" or "Crowned Dark
      One" ).

      I should clarify that by "dark one" I mean a person that is dark and
      gloomy, and not THE Dark One - "Morgoth".

      That being said, this is what I've come up with:

      i rína ar morna quén
      ( Possible variances being "rína ar morna quén" or "rína morna quén" )

      Are these right?
    • Nathan Roy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2006
        Hello there...

        I know it can be frustrating when no one replies to your post, so here's my
        attempt at some input. Now, it's been a few years since I really studied
        Quenya, but my understanding is this: It seems to have been established that
        Quenya adjectives may be substantivized, that is, used just as they are as
        nouns. References can be found at the end of chapter four in the Quenya
        course. This usage is also found in English, eg. "my beloved" or "the
        slain." So, you might just go with "i r�na ar morna." It isn't necessary to
        add "qu�n." Alternatively, you might modify these titles into a more formal
        name, with compounding and/or suffixes. For instance, Galadriel's name in
        Quenya is "Altariel," combining the terms "radiance" and "garlanded maiden."
        So, a man could possibly be named something like "Mornar�mo." (-mo is a
        frequent ending for masculine names."

        In the end, I suppose it comes down to which of the various possibilities
        you like best. There isn't necessarily a "right" way to say something in
        Quenya, because we have no native speakers to talk with! That's one of the
        most frustrating aspects of any invented language, in my opinion. However,
        it can also be somewhat liberating. More information on Tolkien's ideas may
        always come to light, but if you wait around for the definative answer,
        nothing will ever get done! Use the available reference materials, honor the
        spirit and flavor of Quenya, and make up something that pleases your ear.
        That should be enough. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. (You might also try
        the Elfling mailing list. I think they have a lot more going on...)
        Sincerely,

        Nathan Roy