Re: [quenya] Re: Quenya word order

  • Bruno Moreschi
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006

      Anthony Appleyard <a.appleyard@...> escreveu:
      --- "gkrussell99" <gkrussell99@y...> erote:
      > ...Also, as you may already
      > know, the preposition pella follows rather than precedes its object
      > in all but one example. (HF's Quenya Course addresses this too.)
      > Other comments on Quenya word order may occur throughout the course,
      > though I can't think of any offhand.

      Word order in poetry does not count, as often in poetry the word order
      is shuffled about to make the words fit the meter and the rhyme pattern.

      Okay, what hell youl talking about? listen, i began to learn this langüange now and i don't have any idea what means many expressions. So take it ease. Thank's.

    • quildarener
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 13, 2006
        --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Appleyard"
        <a.appleyard@b...> wrote:

        > --- "gkrussell99" <gkrussell99@y...> erote:
        > > ...Also, as you may already
        > > know, the preposition pella follows rather than precedes its
        object
        > > in all but one example. (HF's Quenya Course addresses this too.)
        > > Other comments on Quenya word order may occur throughout the
        course,
        > > though I can't think of any offhand.
        >
        > Word order in poetry does not count, as often in poetry the word
        order
        > is shuffled about to make the words fit the meter and the rhyme
        pattern.

        As Helge points out (in Lesson 19 under "The Postpositive" in his
        Quenya course), one of the examples of pella following its object is
        in prose and the only example of its preceding its object was
        apparently rejected later by Tolkien. Further, whether the example
        is from poety or prose, it is safer to go by what is attested
        (without absolutely excluding possible alternatives), especially
        when (as here) we have three examples of the usage.