Re: Quenya word order

  • Anthony Appleyard
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2005
      --- "gkrussell99" <gkrussell99@y...> erote:
      > ...Also, as you may already
      > know, the preposition pella follows rather than precedes its object
      > in all but one example. (HF's Quenya Course addresses this too.)
      > Other comments on Quenya word order may occur throughout the course,
      > though I can't think of any offhand.

      Word order in poetry does not count, as often in poetry the word order
      is shuffled about to make the words fit the meter and the rhyme pattern.
    • Bruno Moreschi
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006

        Anthony Appleyard <a.appleyard@...> escreveu:
        --- "gkrussell99" <gkrussell99@y...> erote:
        > ...Also, as you may already
        > know, the preposition pella follows rather than precedes its object
        > in all but one example. (HF's Quenya Course addresses this too.)
        > Other comments on Quenya word order may occur throughout the course,
        > though I can't think of any offhand.

        Word order in poetry does not count, as often in poetry the word order
        is shuffled about to make the words fit the meter and the rhyme pattern.

        Okay, what hell youl talking about? listen, i began to learn this langüange now and i don't have any idea what means many expressions. So take it ease. Thank's.

      • quildarener
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 13, 2006
          --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Appleyard"
          <a.appleyard@b...> wrote:

          > --- "gkrussell99" <gkrussell99@y...> erote:
          > > ...Also, as you may already
          > > know, the preposition pella follows rather than precedes its
          object
          > > in all but one example. (HF's Quenya Course addresses this too.)
          > > Other comments on Quenya word order may occur throughout the
          course,
          > > though I can't think of any offhand.
          >
          > Word order in poetry does not count, as often in poetry the word
          order
          > is shuffled about to make the words fit the meter and the rhyme
          pattern.

          As Helge points out (in Lesson 19 under "The Postpositive" in his
          Quenya course), one of the examples of pella following its object is
          in prose and the only example of its preceding its object was
          apparently rejected later by Tolkien. Further, whether the example
          is from poety or prose, it is safer to go by what is attested
          (without absolutely excluding possible alternatives), especially
          when (as here) we have three examples of the usage.