Re: Two Questions

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 14, 2005
      --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "quildarener" <quildarener@y...>
      wrote:

      > --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <pedelberg@h...> wrote:
      > > What I feel writer should refrain from is stating that they
      > > write "Genuine Elvish", "Correct Elvish" or any other
      > authoritarian
      > > statement. Let's be honest: whatever we write is a mish-mash of
      > > Tolkien's ideas spanning decades, and even Tolkien rarely had
      the
      > > final answer to our questions, but kept on changing his ideas.
      > > Much controversy spring from the question of what Real Elvish
      is,
      > > but let's face it, there is no real Elvish, but many different
      > ideas
      > > of Real Elvish in Tolkien's writing.
      > > Maybe we should even cultivate our own linguistic taste and try
      > > find words in Elvish that sound beautiful as well as sticking to
      > the
      > > general scheme of Elvish phonology etc.
      >

      > I wholeheartedly agree and wish that more people did (or at least
      > were willing to resist the authoritarians).

      I am not sure what you mean. I did not mean that writing in Elvish
      was resisting anything in itself. What I do find authoritorian is
      when people claim that they are wtiting "genuine Elvish" when not
      such thing exists - at least not in the singular.

      > The one qualifying
      > consideration is that some kind of standard for common
      communication
      > should emerge for those writing in Quenya.

      Why? As I see it we don't need any one standard for writing Elvish,
      and the idea is contrary to the nature of Tolkien's writings which
      were in constant flux. Why can't a writer just state his/her
      principles, and then write on. I don't believe in the idea of a
      genuine neo-Quenya or neo-Sindarin since they can never be "genuine"
      or "correct" as Tolkien never made his mind about the final form of
      Quenya or Sindarin grammar.

      > But if that is to emerge
      > at all it should be from those actually using Quenya and not from
      > Royal Tolkien Academy of (real or imagined) elitist scholars
      > imposing its standards from on high in Tolkien's name.

      These user will do so whatever anyone does and peace be with them.
      All I ask (if they want to be taken seriously) is that they state
      their principles and try to make it beautiful instead of conforming
      to some neo-Quenya or neo-Sindarin canonic grammar.

      I am in the dark as to who this Royal Elvish Academy is who wants to
      define neo-Quenya or neo-Sindarin grammar from on high. Let's
      discuss issues instead of people. I have read quite a bit of your
      Elvish translations. What is your principle of selection and your
      thoughts on the esthetics of Quenya? I must admit I have only
      written one short poem in Elvish during the last many years, so
      maybe I am not the most qualified to discuss this, but please join
      in, all you people out there.

      Sincerely,
      Peter