Re: An observation

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 9, 2005
      --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "quildarener" <quildarener@y...> wrote:

      > Without reflecting on your scholarship or your right
      > to the Tolkien language material, I would point out that you and the
      > rest of the E.T. have exclusive and jealously guarded control of
      > this material and that only that circumstance forces the rest of us
      > to rely on your release of it as a source of later Tolkien grammar
      > and vocabulary.

      Why is it that some people refuse to understand that Christopher
      Tolkien has a right to decide who gets to publish his father's papers?
      Anybody who has ever worked with archives and private papers in an
      academic manner knows that these has to be "exclusively and jealously"
      guarded since most archives demand that you do not publish without
      their permission. Furthermore when you are working with private papers
      you have to be extra careful since no honest person wants to violate
      the trust of the owner or keeper of the papers.
      It is an absurd assumption that the Tolkien papers should be freely
      available to anyone who comes along since they are the property of the
      Tolkien Estate and frankly I trust Christopher Tolkien and the people
      he has been working with to make these papers available in a
      presentable and scholarly manner.
      "That circumstance" that the E. T. started to work with Christopher
      Tolkien and earned his trust and cooperation has given us the Gnomish
      and Qenya Lexicons, an until then unknown Tolkien writing system, the
      sárati of Rúmil, the answer to what was behind the secret door in the
      Paths of the Dead, five Catholic prayers in Elvish, page after page of
      linguistic philosophy, elvish grammar and elvish words. All presented
      in a thoroughly scholarly manner. And it doesn't seem to stop!
      Happy "circumstance" indeed. I am happy that this task was appointed
      to people who have kept an enduring interest in Tolkien's languages
      over decades. Many people who were active in Tolkien linguistics in
      1992, when I understand the E. T. started their cooperation with Chr.
      Tolkien, have since dropped out. David Salo seems to have "retired"
      after publishing his long awaited book. Lisa Star seems to have
      withdrawn from Tolkien linguistics as well. Luckily the E. T. hasn't
      lost interest and it seems that steadily and surely we will see the
      unfolding of Tolkien's languages from A to Z.
      Thank you Carl F. Hostetter, Christopher Gilson, Patrick Wynne, Arden
      R. Smith and Bill Welden! You give us Tolkien's world in it's own
      words. And for a moment or two we can feel that we are walking with
      the elves.

      Nobody forces anybody to rely on anything. You are free to read what
      you want and write what you want. Don't attack people for having
      access to information, and that complain that you are forced to rely
      on them when they publish that information.

      Sincerely,
      Peter Edelberg