Re: [quenya] Yet another variant :)

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 23, 2005
      --- earweniel <airinearisse@...> wrote:

      > I suggest that the plural of "friend" would rather
      > be "malonyar"
      > (or "nildonyar" or any other synonym) then
      > "malorinyar", as some
      > experts of Quenya think we should put plural ending
      > after the
      > posessive one.

      Erm, it's not "some Quenya experts" who think that but
      attested material points to this, like _hildinyar_ "my
      heirs" in Elendil's oath or _úcaremmar_ in
      Átaremma.

      But as you know, there are always
      > several opinions on
      > every quenya rule, so this is not a strictly correct
      > variant.

      If you can show us any examples in Tolkien's text that
      show the contrary...

      (anyway,
      > we change the
      > final "e" to "i" only with adjectives).

      This is not true. Nouns ending in -e also have their
      plurals in -i (_fairi_, _tauri_, _lassi_ to cite a few
      examples), although there may be exceptions (_maller_
      comes to mind ATM).

      Shine on,

      Thomas Ferencz

      -- love is the shadow that ripens the wine --

      Let's discuss Eldarin languages - http://aglardh.middangeard.hu

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • earweniel
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 23, 2005
        > go, hehe, i think both mine and the original text (along with now
        > yours) would have been understandable to a £rd age elf (though they
        > may have been quite disdainful about this broken form of elvish)

        Yeah, those elves definitely have an image of rather disdainful guys,
        whichever book about them you read ;) But maybe if we people lived so
        long and knew so much, we would acquire quite the same streak..
        However, I think they would rather be pleased with all that huge
        amount of work people have done and continue to do in order to
        reconstruct Quenya from so few material we are left with!
      • earweniel
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 23, 2005
          > (anyway,
          > > we change the
          > > final "e" to "i" only with adjectives).
          >
          > This is not true. Nouns ending in -e also have their
          > plurals in -i (_fairi_, _tauri_, _lassi_ to cite a few
          > examples), although there may be exceptions (_maller_
          > comes to mind ATM).

          Oups, you are quite right! Here you see what makes a half of a year
          without practice and revising - the knowledge flows out of my head and
          I'll soon be left with nothing but "Elen sila lumenn'omentielvo" :))
          (I know that there are long vowels, it's just a long story to type
          them on my comp)