Just a little practice

  • elvenmagic21
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 22, 2005
      Aiya, malorinya. Kyerminya na an sere ar alasse.

      I welcome your suggestions on how I can improve. What is "should" say
      is, "Greetings, my friends. My prayer is for peace and joy."

      Blessings,
      Elvenmagic
    • baphometboy1
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 23, 2005
        --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "elvenmagic21" <elvenmagic21@y...>
        wrote:
        > Aiya, malorinya. Kyerminya na an sere ar alasse.
        >
        > I welcome your suggestions on how I can improve. What is "should"
        say
        > is, "Greetings, my friends. My prayer is for peace and joy."
        >
        > Blessings,
        > Elvenmagic

        ~~~~NOt bad, ummm, i would use A c instead of K on Kyerminya, 'pa' (=
        touching/regarding)instead of the particle 'an'(plus a few spelling
        mistakes i think)

        "Aiya, melmenya, cyermenya ná pa sére ar alasse"
        now im not saying that a hundred percent right, as im still learning
        myself, see what the others say
      • baphometboy1
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 23, 2005
          --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "baphometboy1" <baphometboy1@y...>
          wrote:
          > --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "elvenmagic21" <elvenmagic21@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > Aiya, malorinya. Kyerminya na an sere ar alasse.
          > >
          > > I welcome your suggestions on how I can improve. What
          is "should"
          > say
          > > is, "Greetings, my friends. My prayer is for peace and joy."
          > >
          > > Blessings,
          > > Elvenmagic
          >
          > ~~~~NOt bad, ummm, i would use A c instead of K on Kyerminya, 'pa'
          (=
          > touching/regarding)instead of the particle 'an'(plus a few
          spelling
          > mistakes i think)
          >
          > "Aiya, melmenya, cyermenya ná pa sére ar alasse"
          > now im not saying that a hundred percent right, as im still
          learning
          > myself, see what the others say

          also thinking about it, i would make "prayer" into "prayerS" plural
          so it would read

          "Aiya, melmenya, cyerminya nar pa sére ar alasse"
        • baphometboy1
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 23, 2005

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 24, 2005
              also another way to render this sentence could be using
              the 'alternative' to 'ná' that is 'ea' "to exist" and the the genitive
              ("about")
              thus:

              "Aiya, melmenya, cyermenya ea sére ar alasseo"

              yes/no??? i cant remeber if the genetive is required on both the final
              nouns or not, if this is right though, then i prefer this one, purley
              on the fact that it cuts down on words and uses a case suffix instead,
              i feel it has a nicer 'rythem' what u guys think?
            • Carl F. Hostetter
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 24, 2005
                Note that Tolkien glosses _aiya_ as 'hail', not "greetings". There's
                no evidence to indicate that _aiya_ is any less formal in Quenya than
                is its English gloss.

                On Sep 22, 2005, at 8:06 PM, elvenmagic21 wrote:

                > Aiya, malorinya. Kyerminya na an sere ar alasse.
                >
                > I welcome your suggestions on how I can improve. What is "should" say
                > is, "Greetings, my friends. My prayer is for peace and joy."
                >
                > Blessings,
                > Elvenmagic
              • Carl F. Hostetter
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 24, 2005
                  On Sep 23, 2005, at 7:05 AM, baphometboy1 wrote:

                  > i would use A c instead of K on Kyerminya,

                  Why? Tolkien didn't. And even though _k_ is normally written _c_ in
                  _The Lord of the Rings_, it was NOT always so written by Tolkien
                  outside of _The Lord of the Rings_, and so far as I can recall it is
                  NEVER written as _c_ in the combination _ky_.
                • Carl F. Hostetter
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 24, 2005
                    On Sep 23, 2005, at 7:20 AM, baphometboy1 wrote:

                    > i would make "prayer" into "prayerS" plural
                    > so it would read
                    >
                    > "Aiya, melmenya, cyerminya nar pa sére ar alasse"

                    There is no more reason to make it plural in Quenya than there is in
                    the English. A single act of prayer can be made for more than one
                    thing; they do not require multiple acts of prayer.
                  • baphometboy1
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 26, 2005
                      --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@e...>
                      wrote:

                      > On Sep 23, 2005, at 7:05 AM, baphometboy1 wrote:
                      >
                      > > i would use A c instead of K on Kyerminya,
                      >
                      > Why? Tolkien didn't. And even though _k_ is normally written _c_ in
                      > _The Lord of the Rings_, it was NOT always so written by Tolkien
                      > outside of _The Lord of the Rings_, and so far as I can recall it is
                      > NEVER written as _c_ in the combination _ky_.

                      i just prefer the way a c looks compared to K, thats why i said "i
                      would use.." to show it was just my opionion, besides im one of these
                      people that wants to speak quenya as a living language, and if we went
                      buy everything that tolkien wrote then NOTHING wud be certain im sure,
                      beside it could just be a modern dialect, some people will use C all
                      the time, other K and yet more people will mix the two.
                    • baphometboy1
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 26, 2005
                        wrote:

                        > On Sep 23, 2005, at 7:20 AM, baphometboy1 wrote:
                        >
                        > > i would make "prayer" into "prayerS" plural
                        > > so it would read
                        > >
                        > > "Aiya, melmenya, cyerminya nar pa sére ar alasse"
                        >
                        > There is no more reason to make it plural in Quenya than there is in
                        > the English. A single act of prayer can be made for more than one
                        > thing; they do not require multiple acts of prayer.

                        yet again my opion only, but i always use prayer in the plural (not
                        that i use it that often), "my prayers are with you", " my prayer were
                        for them both" just sound grammatically better to me