Re: [quenya] Telpenor

  • Serena Del Bianco
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2002
      Aiya Diego :)

      > Aiya Serena! Ar [1] inye Telpenoorello!
      >
      > Etencien pitya nat noorelvo [2], nai meluvalyes :)
      >
      > A Telpenoore melima,
      > sercelya naa i hiinion [3]
      > nosselion, i oiale [4]
      > olosta seere meruvar.

      Looks pretty good to me.
      Although olosta seems to mean "sleepy or dreamy"

      I'd translate it as a 'dream of (a) peace' = seréva olórë
      Or maybe 'peaceful dream' = serëa olórë

      'Dreamy peace' does not seem to fit into the context.

      > (O lovely Argentina,
      > your blood is (the blood) of the children
      > of many peoples, who for ever
      > a dream peace will desire.)
      >
      > Diego Seguí
      >
      > NOTES
      >
      > [0] I tried to make it sound iambic. Did I succeed?

      That is a question to be answered by someone with knowledge in Quenya
      phonology I'm afraid :) I don't know where is the accented syllable in
      each word.

      > [1] A bold transferrence from the Latin construction 'et ego', since I
      > couldn't find anything for 'also, too'.

      Hmm. I believe the closest expression is 've <pron>'

      I.e Arwen ná vanya vendë, ve Éowyn 'Arwen is (a) beautiful maiden, like
      Éowyn' ==> Éowyn, ve se, ná vanya vendë. 'Éowyn, like her, is a beautiful
      maiden.'

      > [2] Am I right to think that the quenya genitive expresses subject matter?
      > It seems so from Quenta Silmarillion = 'History of [i.e., about] the
      > Silmarils'

      I don't understend that question. Silmarillion would be in spanish a
      "modificador indirecto". By definition any 'modifier' of the subject
      expresses nucleus matters...

      > [3] A second serce is elided here, do you think it is right?

      I understood it without the second 'serce' :)

      > [4] Nosseli: Spain is also known as Nosselinor, 'land of many peoples', and
      > we Argentinians usually refer to it as 'La Madre Patria'; but here I try
      > to be even broader, for genuine Spanish blood is in fact almost a minority.
      > [BTW, Argentina is usually referred to as 'Kyelepea', but that is a long
      > story].

      Indeed, I don't have Spanish blood at all but that's another topic :)

      As for Kyelepea, I believe Argentina = Argent (from Argentum) + latin
      suffix -ina, therefore shouldn't be

      Kyelep- + a feminine ending found at

      http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/affix~1.htm#C ?

      Cheers,