Re: [quenya] Re: Quenya: "I love you" ?!

    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 1, 2005
      http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/

      --- soccerphil_7 <soccerphil_7@...> wrote:
      > thanks for all the help! Quenya course from
      > Ardalambion? do you think
      > you can give me a url address I dont think I have
      > that <"z

      Thomas Ferencz

      -- love is the shadow that ripens the wine --

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • scott
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 15, 2005
        --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "soccerphil_7" <soccerphil_7@y...>
        wrote:
        > "Amin mela lle" or "Tye-mela'ne" or "Melinyet" or "Le
        melon"[Sindarin]

        > wat I do know is that mel- love(verb) and melme(noun) <"z

        i guess im far from an expert on the language, but seeing as how im
        new here ill throw my spin on it.

        from what i know, it is common for words to blend together to the
        point of what "sounds" most pleasing to the ears. for formal
        occasions they may use more litteral "sounding out" of the words.
        but for high elvish (quenya) in every day talk (as in amoung the
        elves of valinor) the way that the words blend together in the most
        pleasing way is correct.

        ie:

        I (1st pers. sg) inyë (independent pronoun, used for emphasis:
        *"even I")

        LOVE (vb, love as friend) mel-

        ~the following is so debated upon that it needs a thorough
        description~

        YOU (pl. only; for sg "you", see THOU) The ending -lyë may cover pl.
        as well as sg. "you"; on the other hand, Tolkien also used -llë for
        pl. "you" (VT43:36). The reduced form -l may be attached to an
        imperative: hecal! "you be gone!" [WJ:364] and probably also as
        object: *Utúvienyel, "I (-nye) have found you (-l)". Perhaps -l can
        be used for plural "you" in subject postition as well, e.g.
        *lendel, "you went", though this could perhaps also be *lendellë.
        The independent (emphatic) word for "you, even you" as subject may
        be *ellë, while object "you" seems to be le (perhaps also used as a
        polite or formal sg: "thee", though the sg. seems to be #lye in at
        least one late version of Quenya). YOUR – the ending would be -lya
        if -lyë is both sg. and pl. "you" (the ending -lya is attested with
        sg. meaning), but if we accept -llë as an ending for plural "you",
        the ending for "your" would most likely be *-lla, e.g.
        *aldalla "your tree"

        THOU elyë (independent pronoun, used for emphasis, therefore
        translated "even thou" in Nam and RGEO:67. Such independent pronouns
        may also be used in copula-less constructions, e.g. aistana
        elyë "blessed [art] thou", VT43:30).

        so, from what i gather..."i love you" translates to "i love thou"
        which translates to "inyë mel elyë" which to sound most pleasing to
        the ears would translate to "imelyë".

        so as far as the correct translation of "i love you" to quenya, my
        answer would have to be "imelyë".

        however, to say something more along the lines of "my love",

        "amelyë" [literal translation= "love of i"], would be more
        appropriate.
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 16, 2005
          Dear scott,

          I do not mean to be insulting, so please do not take
          this that way but it is clear nonsense.

          Please bear with me I will write a message with an
          explanation soon how to express this simple phrase.

          Cheers,
          --- scott wrote: --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com,
          "soccerphil_7"

          wrote:
> [...]

          e.g.
          *aldalla "your tree"

          THOU elyë (independent pronoun, used for emphasis,
          therefore
          translated "even thou" in Nam and RGEO:67. Such
          independent pronouns
          may also be used in copula-less constructions, e.g.
          aistana
          elyë "blessed [art] thou", VT43:30).

          so, from what i gather..."i love you" translates to
          "i love thou"
          which translates to "inyë mel elyë" which to sound
          most pleasing to
          the ears would translate to "imelyë".

          so as far as the correct translation of "i love you"
          to quenya, my
          answer would have to be "imelyë".

          however, to say something more along the lines of
          "my love",

          "amelyë" [literal translation= "love of i"], would

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          -- love is the shadow that ripens the wine --

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs