Re: [quenya] Telpenor

  • Ardalambion.fr
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2001
      Poem after Helge's comments :

      > Ai! Telpenor vanya nórë,
      > nai cálë Eruo siluva
      > i lumnë lúmennar,
      > Telpetári, Hyarmenya mírë.
      >
      > Ay! Silver land, fair Nation,
      > may Eru's light shine
      > (in) the heavy moments,
      > Silver Queen, Southern jewel.

      This seems OK, but the translation of the third line should rather be "upon
      the heavy moments", with the use of the allative _lúmennar_.
      "_In_ the heavy moments" should be _i lumnë lúmesse_, no ?

      Nai vinya loa sina quantuva hónelya alassenen !

      Sébastien Bertho, estaina Aryáro Varya Endóresse.
    • Diego Segui
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 31, 2001
        Aiya Serena! Ar [1] inye Telpenoorello!

        Etencien pitya nat noorelvo [2], nai meluvalyes :)

        A Telpenoore melima,
        sercelya naa i hiinion [3]
        nosselion, i oiale [4]
        olosta seere meruvar.

        (O lovely Argentina,
        your blood is (the blood) of the children
        of many peoples, who for ever
        a dream peace will desire.)

        Diego Seguí

        NOTES

        [0] I tried to make it sound iambic. Did I succeed?

        [1] A bold transferrence from the Latin construction 'et ego', since I couldn't find anything for 'also, too'.

        [2] Am I right to think that the quenya genitive expresses subject matter? It seems so from Quenta Silmarillion = 'History of [i.e., about] the Silmarils'

        [3] A second serce is elided here, do you think it is right?

        [4] Nosseli: Spain is also known as Nosselinor, 'land of many peoples', and we Argentinians usually refer to it as 'La Madre Patria'; but here I try to be even broader, for genuine Spanish blood is in fact almost a minority. [BTW, Argentina is usually referred to as 'Kyelepea',  but that is a long story].

        [5] And how do you say 'Corrections & Comments please'? :)
      • Serena Del Bianco
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2002
          Aiya Diego :)

          > Aiya Serena! Ar [1] inye Telpenoorello!
          >
          > Etencien pitya nat noorelvo [2], nai meluvalyes :)
          >
          > A Telpenoore melima,
          > sercelya naa i hiinion [3]
          > nosselion, i oiale [4]
          > olosta seere meruvar.

          Looks pretty good to me.
          Although olosta seems to mean "sleepy or dreamy"

          I'd translate it as a 'dream of (a) peace' = seréva olórë
          Or maybe 'peaceful dream' = serëa olórë

          'Dreamy peace' does not seem to fit into the context.

          > (O lovely Argentina,
          > your blood is (the blood) of the children
          > of many peoples, who for ever
          > a dream peace will desire.)
          >
          > Diego Seguí
          >
          > NOTES
          >
          > [0] I tried to make it sound iambic. Did I succeed?

          That is a question to be answered by someone with knowledge in Quenya
          phonology I'm afraid :) I don't know where is the accented syllable in
          each word.

          > [1] A bold transferrence from the Latin construction 'et ego', since I
          > couldn't find anything for 'also, too'.

          Hmm. I believe the closest expression is 've <pron>'

          I.e Arwen ná vanya vendë, ve Éowyn 'Arwen is (a) beautiful maiden, like
          Éowyn' ==> Éowyn, ve se, ná vanya vendë. 'Éowyn, like her, is a beautiful
          maiden.'

          > [2] Am I right to think that the quenya genitive expresses subject matter?
          > It seems so from Quenta Silmarillion = 'History of [i.e., about] the
          > Silmarils'

          I don't understend that question. Silmarillion would be in spanish a
          "modificador indirecto". By definition any 'modifier' of the subject
          expresses nucleus matters...

          > [3] A second serce is elided here, do you think it is right?

          I understood it without the second 'serce' :)

          > [4] Nosseli: Spain is also known as Nosselinor, 'land of many peoples', and
          > we Argentinians usually refer to it as 'La Madre Patria'; but here I try
          > to be even broader, for genuine Spanish blood is in fact almost a minority.
          > [BTW, Argentina is usually referred to as 'Kyelepea', but that is a long
          > story].

          Indeed, I don't have Spanish blood at all but that's another topic :)

          As for Kyelepea, I believe Argentina = Argent (from Argentum) + latin
          suffix -ina, therefore shouldn't be

          Kyelep- + a feminine ending found at

          http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/affix~1.htm#C ?

          Cheers,