Re: thx + of?

  • quenya_555
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 26, 2004
      true - a man of strength does mean "strong man" but dont want to say
      strong man i want to say man of strength. i still dont know how to say
      it... anyway thanks for the help, any more would be appriciated from
      anybody.

      - how to say "man of strength"

      --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "mettalteddy" <ruben.ferreira@n...> wrote:
      > Are you sure of that? Because what I have read whas that the suffx
      > was -on.
      > Anyway I think "man of strength" should be translated into quenya
      > as "strong man" because the first one is an expression used in
      > english and we don't know if that expression ocured in quenya.
      > Therefore, I'd say "polda nér" or either "polda atan" if opossed to
      > an elf strength.
      > polda - strong (physically)
      > nér - man
      > atan - man (race)
      >
      > --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "quenya_555" <lotr_555@h...> wrote:
      > > thx for your help with the quenya greeting that has helped me.
      > >

      > > in my quenya lessons it says: there is no word for "of" so we add
      > an o
      > > to the end of word to make it of the noun. if u follow me :
      > >
      > > aldar = trees, aldaron = of trees
      > >
      > > (plus one adds an "n" if it is plural)
      > >
      > > but how would one say "a man of strength"
      > >
      > > strength = tuo
      > > man = ner
      > >
      > > so ner tuoo ???
      > > im not sure.
      > >
      > > any help would be appriciated thx,
      > > - quenya_555
    • dave david
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 29, 2004
        man of strength huh? well as far as quenya is involve and as far as my learnings of that language can still have a say i think i can voice an idea even if not so helpful....

        i agree with ruben.ferreira that the word could be _polda_ner_  since as you have said there is no word for _of_ in quenya..... though _polda_atan_ constitue the same context in reference to race, it can be said that it could not fit strong-man or man-of-strength if it is to be used to describe a person "physically". second is that ner tuoo is etemologically incorrect elvish???????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

        http://mail.yahoo.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 30, 2004
          Hi All,

          when a noun ends with -o, the genitive suffix -o would
          merge with it, so the nominative and genitive will be
          identical and the context will determine the meaning.
          So for instance: bear = _morco_
          eye of the bear = _hen morco_ or _morco hen_

          Shine on,
          --- dave david <risingmoon26@...> wrote:

          > man of strength huh? well as far as quenya is
          > involve and as far as my learnings of that language
          > can still have a say i think i can voice an idea
          > even if not so helpful....
          >
          > i agree with ruben.ferreira that the word could be
          > _polda_ner_ since as you have said there is no word
          > for _of_ in quenya..... though _polda_atan_
          > constitue the same context in reference to race, it
          > can be said that it could not fit strong-man or
          > man-of-strength if it is to be used to describe a
          > person "physically". second is that ner tuoo is
          > etemologically incorrect

          =====
          Thomas Ferencz

          -- love is the shadow that ripens the wine --

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail