Re: thx + of?

  • quenya_555
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 26, 2004
      true - a man of strength does mean "strong man" but dont want to say
      strong man i want to say man of strength. i still dont know how to say
      it... anyway thanks for the help, any more would be appriciated from
      anybody.

      - how to say "man of strength"

      --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "mettalteddy" <ruben.ferreira@n...> wrote:
      > Are you sure of that? Because what I have read whas that the suffx
      > was -on.
      > Anyway I think "man of strength" should be translated into quenya
      > as "strong man" because the first one is an expression used in
      > english and we don't know if that expression ocured in quenya.
      > Therefore, I'd say "polda nér" or either "polda atan" if opossed to
      > an elf strength.
      > polda - strong (physically)
      > nér - man
      > atan - man (race)
      >
      > --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "quenya_555" <lotr_555@h...> wrote:
      > > thx for your help with the quenya greeting that has helped me.
      > >

      > > in my quenya lessons it says: there is no word for "of" so we add
      > an o
      > > to the end of word to make it of the noun. if u follow me :
      > >
      > > aldar = trees, aldaron = of trees
      > >
      > > (plus one adds an "n" if it is plural)
      > >
      > > but how would one say "a man of strength"
      > >
      > > strength = tuo
      > > man = ner
      > >
      > > so ner tuoo ???
      > > im not sure.
      > >
      > > any help would be appriciated thx,
      > > - quenya_555
    • quenya_555
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 26, 2004
        true - a man of strength does mean "strong man" but dont want to say
        strong man i want to say man of strength. i still dont know how to say
        it... anyway thanks for the help, any more would be appriciated from
        anybody.

        - how to say "man of strength"

        --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "mettalteddy" <ruben.ferreira@n...> wrote:
        > Are you sure of that? Because what I have read whas that the suffx
        > was -on.
        > Anyway I think "man of strength" should be translated into quenya
        > as "strong man" because the first one is an expression used in
        > english and we don't know if that expression ocured in quenya.
        > Therefore, I'd say "polda nér" or either "polda atan" if opossed to
        > an elf strength.
        > polda - strong (physically)
        > nér - man
        > atan - man (race)
        >
        > --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "quenya_555" <lotr_555@h...> wrote:
        > > thx for your help with the quenya greeting that has helped me.
        > >

        > > in my quenya lessons it says: there is no word for "of" so we add
        > an o
        > > to the end of word to make it of the noun. if u follow me :
        > >
        > > aldar = trees, aldaron = of trees
        > >
        > > (plus one adds an "n" if it is plural)
        > >
        > > but how would one say "a man of strength"
        > >
        > > strength = tuo
        > > man = ner
        > >
        > > so ner tuoo ???
        > > im not sure.
        > >
        > > any help would be appriciated thx,
        > > - quenya_555
      • dave david
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 29, 2004
          man of strength huh? well as far as quenya is involve and as far as my learnings of that language can still have a say i think i can voice an idea even if not so helpful....

          i agree with ruben.ferreira that the word could be _polda_ner_  since as you have said there is no word for _of_ in quenya..... though _polda_atan_ constitue the same context in reference to race, it can be said that it could not fit strong-man or man-of-strength if it is to be used to describe a person "physically". second is that ner tuoo is etemologically incorrect elvish???????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 30, 2004
            Hi All,

            when a noun ends with -o, the genitive suffix -o would
            merge with it, so the nominative and genitive will be
            identical and the context will determine the meaning.
            So for instance: bear = _morco_
            eye of the bear = _hen morco_ or _morco hen_

            Shine on,
            --- dave david <risingmoon26@...> wrote:

            > man of strength huh? well as far as quenya is
            > involve and as far as my learnings of that language
            > can still have a say i think i can voice an idea
            > even if not so helpful....
            >
            > i agree with ruben.ferreira that the word could be
            > _polda_ner_ since as you have said there is no word
            > for _of_ in quenya..... though _polda_atan_
            > constitue the same context in reference to race, it
            > can be said that it could not fit strong-man or
            > man-of-strength if it is to be used to describe a
            > person "physically". second is that ner tuoo is
            > etemologically incorrect

            =====
            Thomas Ferencz

            -- love is the shadow that ripens the wine --

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail