thx + of?

  • quenya_555
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 22 12:50 PM
      thx for your help with the quenya greeting that has helped me.

      in my quenya lessons it says: there is no word for "of" so we add an o
      to the end of word to make it of the noun. if u follow me :

      aldar = trees, aldaron = of trees

      (plus one adds an "n" if it is plural)

      but how would one say "a man of strength"

      strength = tuo
      man = ner

      so ner tuoo ???
      im not sure.

      any help would be appriciated thx,
      - quenya_555
    • mettalteddy
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 26 12:45 PM
        Are you sure of that? Because what I have read whas that the suffx
        was -on.
        Anyway I think "man of strength" should be translated into quenya
        as "strong man" because the first one is an expression used in
        english and we don't know if that expression ocured in quenya.
        Therefore, I'd say "polda nér" or either "polda atan" if opossed to
        an elf strength.
        polda - strong (physically)
        nér - man
        atan - man (race)

        --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "quenya_555" <lotr_555@h...> wrote:
        > thx for your help with the quenya greeting that has helped me.
        >

        > in my quenya lessons it says: there is no word for "of" so we add
        an o
        > to the end of word to make it of the noun. if u follow me :
        >
        > aldar = trees, aldaron = of trees
        >
        > (plus one adds an "n" if it is plural)
        >
        > but how would one say "a man of strength"
        >
        > strength = tuo
        > man = ner
        >
        > so ner tuoo ???
        > im not sure.
        >
        > any help would be appriciated thx,
        > - quenya_555
      • quenya_555
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 26 2:14 PM
          true - a man of strength does mean "strong man" but dont want to say
          strong man i want to say man of strength. i still dont know how to say
          it... anyway thanks for the help, any more would be appriciated from
          anybody.

          - how to say "man of strength"

          --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "mettalteddy" <ruben.ferreira@n...> wrote:
          > Are you sure of that? Because what I have read whas that the suffx
          > was -on.
          > Anyway I think "man of strength" should be translated into quenya
          > as "strong man" because the first one is an expression used in
          > english and we don't know if that expression ocured in quenya.
          > Therefore, I'd say "polda nér" or either "polda atan" if opossed to
          > an elf strength.
          > polda - strong (physically)
          > nér - man
          > atan - man (race)
          >
          > --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "quenya_555" <lotr_555@h...> wrote:
          > > thx for your help with the quenya greeting that has helped me.
          > >

          > > in my quenya lessons it says: there is no word for "of" so we add
          > an o
          > > to the end of word to make it of the noun. if u follow me :
          > >
          > > aldar = trees, aldaron = of trees
          > >
          > > (plus one adds an "n" if it is plural)
          > >
          > > but how would one say "a man of strength"
          > >
          > > strength = tuo
          > > man = ner
          > >
          > > so ner tuoo ???
          > > im not sure.
          > >
          > > any help would be appriciated thx,
          > > - quenya_555
        • quenya_555
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 26 2:14 PM
            true - a man of strength does mean "strong man" but dont want to say
            strong man i want to say man of strength. i still dont know how to say
            it... anyway thanks for the help, any more would be appriciated from
            anybody.

            - how to say "man of strength"

            --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "mettalteddy" <ruben.ferreira@n...> wrote:
            > Are you sure of that? Because what I have read whas that the suffx
            > was -on.
            > Anyway I think "man of strength" should be translated into quenya
            > as "strong man" because the first one is an expression used in
            > english and we don't know if that expression ocured in quenya.
            > Therefore, I'd say "polda nér" or either "polda atan" if opossed to
            > an elf strength.
            > polda - strong (physically)
            > nér - man
            > atan - man (race)
            >
            > --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "quenya_555" <lotr_555@h...> wrote:
            > > thx for your help with the quenya greeting that has helped me.
            > >

            > > in my quenya lessons it says: there is no word for "of" so we add
            > an o
            > > to the end of word to make it of the noun. if u follow me :
            > >
            > > aldar = trees, aldaron = of trees
            > >
            > > (plus one adds an "n" if it is plural)
            > >
            > > but how would one say "a man of strength"
            > >
            > > strength = tuo
            > > man = ner
            > >
            > > so ner tuoo ???
            > > im not sure.
            > >
            > > any help would be appriciated thx,
            > > - quenya_555
          • dave david
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 29 9:48 PM
              man of strength huh? well as far as quenya is involve and as far as my learnings of that language can still have a say i think i can voice an idea even if not so helpful....

              i agree with ruben.ferreira that the word could be _polda_ner_  since as you have said there is no word for _of_ in quenya..... though _polda_atan_ constitue the same context in reference to race, it can be said that it could not fit strong-man or man-of-strength if it is to be used to describe a person "physically". second is that ner tuoo is etemologically incorrect elvish???????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

              http://mail.yahoo.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 30 1:59 AM
                Hi All,

                when a noun ends with -o, the genitive suffix -o would
                merge with it, so the nominative and genitive will be
                identical and the context will determine the meaning.
                So for instance: bear = _morco_
                eye of the bear = _hen morco_ or _morco hen_

                Shine on,
                --- dave david <risingmoon26@...> wrote:

                > man of strength huh? well as far as quenya is
                > involve and as far as my learnings of that language
                > can still have a say i think i can voice an idea
                > even if not so helpful....
                >
                > i agree with ruben.ferreira that the word could be
                > _polda_ner_ since as you have said there is no word
                > for _of_ in quenya..... though _polda_atan_
                > constitue the same context in reference to race, it
                > can be said that it could not fit strong-man or
                > man-of-strength if it is to be used to describe a
                > person "physically". second is that ner tuoo is
                > etemologically incorrect

                =====
                Thomas Ferencz

                -- love is the shadow that ripens the wine --

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail