RE: [quenya] um...

  • C Masuoka
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2004
      Aiya,
      _Uuhanyan ilye quettalyar, mal quetuva_: most of us are very busy. It's not _ilquen firin naa_.

      --- On Wed 07/28, apesrstupid < stupidape@... > wrote:
      >aiya!
      >ma ily� queni firner?
      What I think you wrote: What all people [died?]?

      _mana_ is also used for "what", but its actual meaning may be "what is [rest of the question]?".
      You can use _ilquen_ for "everyone" (attested in WJ [War of the Jewels]).
      _firner_ is correct for the past tense of _fir-_, but you could also use the present perfect (_ifiirier_) or the adjective _firin_ (or _qualin_, if refering to death of unnatural cause).

      >man umel care quet�?
      What I think you wrote: Who [you do not / you are not?] do/make speak?
      _umel_ should probably be _umil_ if you are trying to conjugate _ume_ in the aorist tense with "you" as the subject.
      You don't need the _care_ or the _umil_ because the "do not" part is covered by the verb (as long as you put in something like uu- or laa or la- to make it negative) and the "make" part would only be correct if you were asking "Why do you not make words?" or something similar.

      So, were you saying: Has everyone died [Everyone has died, haven't they]? Why don't you speak?
      (Ilquen ifiirier, lau? Manan uuquetuval(ye*)? (or _laa quetuval(ye)_ [with stressed negation] or _laquetuval(ye)_ [not stressing the negation])(or _uutecuval(ye)_...because this is all done through writing.))

      * the -ye seems to be optional unless you are adding another ending to the word (like the -s for "it" in _utuuvienyes!_)

      Namaarie.
      Christine Masuoka

      Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com