Re: [quenya] Help

  • xelanotlob2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 27, 2001
      i have been to ardalambion and got the course but i am only interested in the
      runes i would like to learn how to speak it but that is not tolkien wanted to
      happen with with his languages, people forming cults and only speaking his
      languages that is not what he intended.
      thanks for the tip anyway
      Alex Bolton

      namarie
      i cannot be bothered with accutes
    • Ardalambion.fr
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 27, 2001
        Alex Bolton wrote :

        > i have been to ardalambion and got the course but i am only interested in
        the
        > runes i would like to learn how to speak it but that is not tolkien wanted
        > happen with with his languages, people forming cults and only speaking his
        > languages that is not what he intended.

        You can't speak runes, because runes are just an _alphabet_ (i.e. a system
        of writing) used to transcribe _languages_. You can't say "I'd like to speak
        cyrillic", but you can say "I'd like to speak greek".
        You should not confuse _alphabets_ and _languages_ !

        I don't think that people etrying to speak Tolkien's invented languages are
        "cults" ! They are just people involved in a linguistic research about the
        invented tongues of a dead writter.

        I don't know if Tolkien didn't want to learn his elvish tongues. On the
        contrary, I think that it was perhaps his intention to give people the
        desire to study them, else he would'nt have used them in his stories and
        would have kept them for himself only.

        > namarie
        > i cannot be bothered with accutes

        The accutes accents mark a long vowel and long vowels are written
        differently from normal vowels in Tolkien's invented alphabets.

        > where did you al find the words for quenya, and how long did i take
        for all of you to learn to spak it aswell as you all can????????????

        There only sources for quenya words are Tolkien's writtings ! There are some
        internet ressources where these words are collected :

        Quettaparma Quenyanna (http://www.elvenlords.subnet.dk/xtra/wordlist.html) :
        "The wordbook to quenya", an English-Quenya wordlist.

        Parma Penyane Quettaron (http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/ppq_intro.htm) : "The
        book of missing words", a wordlist of reconstructed or newly published
        words.

        But I though you were only interested in runes !

        Namárie !

        Sébastien Bertho, A.K.A. Toko
      • xelanotlob2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 27, 2001
          true u raise some good points, and i know the difference between runes and
          spoken language but my first intention was to learn the runes then maybe
          ascend to the spoken language itself later. i would appreciate your help as
          you seem to be knowledgeable in the ways of quenya

          namarie
          i would write accutes but i cannot be bothered to find the symbol is what i
          meant to say.
          Alex Bolton
        • Ardalambion.fr
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 28, 2001
            Aiya !

            Alex Bolton wrote :

            > true u raise some good points, and i know the difference between runes and
            > spoken language but my first intention was to learn the runes then maybe
            > ascend to the spoken language itself later. i would appreciate your help
            as
            > you seem to be knowledgeable in the ways of quenya

            For the runes and writting systems, you should look at the Elfscript mailing
            list : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfscript/

            To learn more about quenya and others languages of Pr. Tolkien, you should
            go to the Elfling mailing list : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfling

            Ardalambion is a great site you should look at :
            http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/

            When you will know enough to make some sentences in quenya, you'll be able
            to come back to this list and post in this tongue.

            > please may you send me a list of common helpful words i could use to
            start to build simple words and sentances so i may begin to post in
            quenya thankyou

            There is a good wordlist to start with at Ardalambion :
            http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/qlist.htm

            But to write in quenya you'll have to learn the grammar also and I advice
            you to read Helge's very good quenya course :
            http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/qcourse.htm

            > namarie
            > i would write accutes but i cannot be bothered to find the symbol is what
            > meant to say.

            OK. If you don't know how to write the accents, you can type _aa_ instead of
            _á_ (some people can't see correctly the accents and it's an accepted
            spelling ).

            Namaarie !

            Toko
          • elfladyarwen
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 5, 2002
              Ok, i just joined your group and hope to become an active member but i
              just starting introducing myself to the wonders of Tolkiens languages.
              I was wondering where would be a good place to start teaching myself
              Quenya...sorry if this sounds dumb but it's the best i can do.
            • xelanotlob2@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 5, 2002
                go to ardalambion

                http://move.to/ardalambion
                and download the quenya course
              • Amelia Imperatrix
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 5, 2002
                  I second that. I've mostly forgotten my Quenya, but I learned from his
                  grammar page (this was before he wrote the course).

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 27, 2002
                    A friend asked me to translate something she wrote. Before I give her back the Quenya version, tell me if I did it right... Cuiva nwalca f�um�a! Hl�ra �manya! Caita annwalcalya �rm� ily�nna i raicann�! �rtalyar aicanar rass�t, ar anta qualini an i al�ssi! Cuiva nwalca f�umea! Hl�ra tult�anya! Caita anaistanya aha ily�nna te! ,iny� mauyalay�, �lava aiquen usina neumalyar! Cuiva nwalca f�umea! Hl�ra �manya! ,tulter� i andor morni�! ,ettult�a raucor hossinya an ohta! Cuiva nwalca f�umea! Hl�ra tult�anya! ,fainua i oira ungwaleva ,angamando ily�nna te! ,ett�la faica faireher, iny� ment�anna ely� te!