Re: [quenya] Help

  • Ardalambion.fr
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 25, 2001
      Aiya Lambengolmor !

      First I'd like to apologize to post in English, but it would be VERY
      difficult to reply to newbies in Quenya !

      Kirsi wrote :

      > I was wondering if anyone could help me with writing to Quenyan...
      > I'd like to write my name "Kirsi" with "Tengwar Quenya" font...
      > So please help me!!!

      Perhaps you should go to the Elfscript list, a mailing list dedicaced to the
      use of Tengwar and runes.

      xelanotlob wrote :

      > hello everyone im a new member i cannot write quenya using the words
      > but i can write it using the font if that makes sense so ill have to
      > post in english

      The goal of the Quenya list is to post in Quenya ! You should not confuse
      _languages_ (like Quenya or Sindarin) and _alphabets_ (Tengwar or runes).
      Quenya is not a translation of English in another alphabet, it's a language
      of its own, with its history (internal and external, its phonology, its
      grammar, ...).

      If you want to learn Quenya, you should go to the Elfling mailing list and
      to Ardalambion (http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/), this great site contain a
      very good Quenya course.

      Namárie !
    • xelanotlob2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 27, 2001
        i have been to ardalambion and got the course but i am only interested in the
        runes i would like to learn how to speak it but that is not tolkien wanted to
        happen with with his languages, people forming cults and only speaking his
        languages that is not what he intended.
        thanks for the tip anyway
        Alex Bolton

        namarie
        i cannot be bothered with accutes
      • Ardalambion.fr
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 27, 2001
          Alex Bolton wrote :

          > i have been to ardalambion and got the course but i am only interested in
          the
          > runes i would like to learn how to speak it but that is not tolkien wanted
          > happen with with his languages, people forming cults and only speaking his
          > languages that is not what he intended.

          You can't speak runes, because runes are just an _alphabet_ (i.e. a system
          of writing) used to transcribe _languages_. You can't say "I'd like to speak
          cyrillic", but you can say "I'd like to speak greek".
          You should not confuse _alphabets_ and _languages_ !

          I don't think that people etrying to speak Tolkien's invented languages are
          "cults" ! They are just people involved in a linguistic research about the
          invented tongues of a dead writter.

          I don't know if Tolkien didn't want to learn his elvish tongues. On the
          contrary, I think that it was perhaps his intention to give people the
          desire to study them, else he would'nt have used them in his stories and
          would have kept them for himself only.

          > namarie
          > i cannot be bothered with accutes

          The accutes accents mark a long vowel and long vowels are written
          differently from normal vowels in Tolkien's invented alphabets.

          > where did you al find the words for quenya, and how long did i take
          for all of you to learn to spak it aswell as you all can????????????

          There only sources for quenya words are Tolkien's writtings ! There are some
          internet ressources where these words are collected :

          Quettaparma Quenyanna (http://www.elvenlords.subnet.dk/xtra/wordlist.html) :
          "The wordbook to quenya", an English-Quenya wordlist.

          Parma Penyane Quettaron (http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/ppq_intro.htm) : "The
          book of missing words", a wordlist of reconstructed or newly published
          words.

          But I though you were only interested in runes !

          Namárie !

          Sébastien Bertho, A.K.A. Toko
        • xelanotlob2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 27, 2001
            true u raise some good points, and i know the difference between runes and
            spoken language but my first intention was to learn the runes then maybe
            ascend to the spoken language itself later. i would appreciate your help as
            you seem to be knowledgeable in the ways of quenya

            namarie
            i would write accutes but i cannot be bothered to find the symbol is what i
            meant to say.
            Alex Bolton
          • Ardalambion.fr
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 28, 2001
              Aiya !

              Alex Bolton wrote :

              > true u raise some good points, and i know the difference between runes and
              > spoken language but my first intention was to learn the runes then maybe
              > ascend to the spoken language itself later. i would appreciate your help
              as
              > you seem to be knowledgeable in the ways of quenya

              For the runes and writting systems, you should look at the Elfscript mailing
              list : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfscript/

              To learn more about quenya and others languages of Pr. Tolkien, you should
              go to the Elfling mailing list : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfling

              Ardalambion is a great site you should look at :
              http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/

              When you will know enough to make some sentences in quenya, you'll be able
              to come back to this list and post in this tongue.

              > please may you send me a list of common helpful words i could use to
              start to build simple words and sentances so i may begin to post in
              quenya thankyou

              There is a good wordlist to start with at Ardalambion :
              http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/qlist.htm

              But to write in quenya you'll have to learn the grammar also and I advice
              you to read Helge's very good quenya course :
              http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/qcourse.htm

              > namarie
              > i would write accutes but i cannot be bothered to find the symbol is what
              > meant to say.

              OK. If you don't know how to write the accents, you can type _aa_ instead of
              _á_ (some people can't see correctly the accents and it's an accepted
              spelling ).

              Namaarie !

              Toko
            • elfladyarwen
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 5, 2002
                Ok, i just joined your group and hope to become an active member but i
                just starting introducing myself to the wonders of Tolkiens languages.
                I was wondering where would be a good place to start teaching myself
                Quenya...sorry if this sounds dumb but it's the best i can do.
              • xelanotlob2@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 5, 2002
                  go to ardalambion

                  http://move.to/ardalambion
                  and download the quenya course
                • Amelia Imperatrix
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 5, 2002
                    I second that. I've mostly forgotten my Quenya, but I learned from his
                    grammar page (this was before he wrote the course).

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 27 8:08 PM
                      A friend asked me to translate something she wrote. Before I give her back the Quenya version, tell me if I did it right... Cuiva nwalca f�um�a! Hl�ra �manya! Caita annwalcalya �rm� ily�nna i raicann�! �rtalyar aicanar rass�t, ar anta qualini an i al�ssi! Cuiva nwalca f�umea! Hl�ra tult�anya! Caita anaistanya aha ily�nna te! ,iny� mauyalay�, �lava aiquen usina neumalyar! Cuiva nwalca f�umea! Hl�ra �manya! ,tulter� i andor morni�! ,ettult�a raucor hossinya an ohta! Cuiva nwalca f�umea! Hl�ra tult�anya! ,fainua i oira ungwaleva ,angamando ily�nna te! ,ett�la faica faireher, iny� ment�anna ely� te!