Please help me with a text

  • ilcemenea
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29 2:48 PM
      Aiya!

      (First of all excuse me for my bad english) I´m a spanish student
      from Galicia, and I have just write my first quenya short text.
      Nevertheless I have four difficult words or sentences I can´t
      translate, and I hope you could help me.
      They are the following:

      a) the sentence: "she was trying to..." (or something simmilar,or at
      least the verb "to try"
      b) the word "remainder" (like in maths!)
      c) the verb "to believe"
      d) "had been" or something simmilar, I think this is the most
      difficult...

      Thank you
      Tenna rato!
    • Tom Busby
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30 10:46 AM
        Hello
        Firtsly, "she was trying" is the past tense of "she is trying."
        However, neither Tolkien or any post Tolkien writers have made a
        word for "to try" so the only thing I can suggest is saying "she
        toils (toil means work) to (verb)" for example, "she was working to
        eat."

        -rë ( she ending added onto the end of the verb)
        motanë (a-stem verb mota "toil" turned into past tense "toiled")
        matë (basic verb mat- "eat" turned into aorist (which is used for
        infinitive) "to eat".)

        Note to make a verb that ends in "a" (a-stem) aorist do not ad
        anything to it or change it in any way.

        motanerë matë
        (mota-në-rë matë)
        toil-ed-she to eat
        she toiled (tried) to eat

        Now, onto "Remainder" or "remaining thing," remain is "lemya-" and
        thing is "nat-" and in Quenya you would say "thing remaining"
        (remaining being the continuative form of remain) so perhaps this is
        a good enough translation of "remainder.":

        nat lemyëa
        nat lemy(a)-ëa (ëa is the continuative tense ending)

        "to believe" is really very similar to saying "to think."

        I belive Christ was the son of God
        I think Christ was the son of God

        The meanings are very similar, the word for think is "osána"
        although I think this is not a Tolkien word but a new word by Boris
        Shapiro.

        "had been" is imperfect tense of "to be" the best thing to use for
        this is the perfect tense, as Tolkien never made an imperfect
        tense. So rather than "had been" we'll have to say "has been"

        (first vowel in verb)- -ië (prefix and suffix for perfect tense)
        na (a-stem verb "be")

        anië
        a-n(a)-ië
        has been