The Circular Ruins (¥°)

  • SKC8563@hitel.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2001
      Let's do some Borges.

      I started with the last paragraph of Ulrike. Here I would continue
      with The Circular Ruins, which is one of my favorites.

      Translation is somewhat rough and contains some over-used or
      obsolete words. Suggestions would be truly welcomed.

      [ Original ]

      The Circular Ruins

      by Jorge Luis Borges

      For what had happened many centuries before was repeating itself.
      The ruins of the sanctuary of the god of Fire was destroyed by fire.
      In a dawn without birds, the wizard saw the concentric fire licking
      the walls. For a moment, he thought of taking refuge in the water,
      but then he understood that death was coming to crown his old age
      and absolve him from his labors. He walked toward the sheets of
      flame. They did not bite his flesh, they caressed him and flooded
      him without heat or combustion. With relief, with humiliation, with
      terror, he understood that he also was an illusion, that someone
      else was dreaming him.

      [ Translation ]

      I Rinde Atalantier

      Horhe Luis Borhesenen

      Ya amartie noo linyeeni tatyane ata. I hehtaina uur-ainuva yaana
      raacina uurnen. Aarasse aiwevilte, sairon cenne uur austa rambar.
      Sinta lusse, sananes varna meno mi neen, nan sintes sa faireo tulie
      naa antien son rie linyeeniryaren ar lehtien son mootaryallor. Vantas
      naurnna. Naur uume nace hraaverya, nan orsirne sonna laa yo uure var
      ustie. Yo lehtie, yo ilalcar, yo osse, sintes sa naas olos, oolane
      monen.

      [ Translation of Translation ]

      The Circular Down-falls

      by Horhe Luis Borhes

      What has happened before many-years repeated again. The forsaken
      Fire-god's sanctuary was broken by fire. In a dawn birdless, the
      wizard saw the fire licking the walls. In a short time, he thought
      of safe place in the water, but he knew that death's coming is for
      giving him a crown for his long-years and for releasing him from his
      toils. He walked to the flame. The flame did not bite his flesh, but
      over-flowed upon him not with heat or burning. With relief, with
      dis-glory, with terror, he knew that he was an image, dreamed by
      someone.

      Earraamello.

      I looked up these words from three glossaries: Quettaparma Quenyanna,
      Parma Penyane Quettaron, Quenys Corpus Wordlist. I used the following
      also: Taste of Elvish, Quenya Affixes.