Re: Core Heru Million

  • Ryszard Derdzinski
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 29, 2001
      Aiya, Nildonyar!

      Earrame wrote:

      > And why 4Gwaith-i-Phethdain shows us -lle, not
      > -lye? (in the sentence "merin sa harya[lle] alasse!")

      In my opinion 2nd pers. has many different endings in Quenya (see my article
      on Elvish pronouns at Gwaith-i-Phethdain):

      sg

      reverential _-lye_, _-l_ (< CE *_-lje_, *_-l_)
      familiar _-tye_, _-t_ (< CE *_-kje_, *_-k_)

      pl

      reverential _-lle_ (< *_-lle_)
      familiar _-cce_ (< *_kke_)

      The ending _-lle_ is attested in early versions of Namárie (see the HoMe).

      > 4 What would be "Gwaith-i-Phethdain" in Quenya?

      Maybe _Heren Quettanon_? [*_quettano_ < _quetta_ + _tano_)

      Namárie,

      Ryszard Derdzinski
      (Alyanorno)

      maggot@... or galadhorn@...

      "Gwaith-i-Phethdain" http://www.elvish.org/gwaith
      "Polish Tolkien Society" http://www.parmadili.w.pl
      "Silesian Homeland" http://www.kki.net.pl/~derdzinscy

      "Pent Fangorn Onod: Thinna i ardhon: han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chef,
      han noston ne gwilith." - 'Said Fangorn the Ent: The world is changing: I
      feel it in the water, I feel it in the earth, and I smell it in the air'.

      John Ronald Reuel Tolkien "Many Partings" in "The Return of the King"

    • Anthony Appleyard
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 26 3:21 AM
        --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, SKC8563@h... wrote:
        > Does Appleyard have a Quenya name? How about his essay "Quenya
        > Grammar Reexamined"? Does EJK have his Elvish name? ...

        I have just joined this group. I have always called myself Appleyard in
        Tolkien-related groups. (In an email group about the Nahuatl (= Aztec)
        language I have sometimes signed myself off Citlalyani = Star-traveller
        because I have written space stories.)

        In this group, when writing in Quenya, what is the usual way of
        writing "if"?, e.g.:-
        - If I go to town, I will buy some bread. (ordinary condition)
        - If I had known that there were mice about, I would have brought my
        cat. (unreal condition).