Re: [quenya] fifiirula var envinyanta?

  • Helge K. Fauskanger
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11, 2001
      Ales Bican wrote:

      > [is] anyone here? This place died? Now when we have Helge's
      > great [covering both sences] work about Quenya grammar?
      > Living Quenya or dead Quenya?

      ** Revived Quenya, I hope... The problem of keeping alive a list devoted to
      actually writing in Quenya for its own sake is of course that the people
      who can readily put together a Quenya text, don't really have much to say
      to one another. Obviously, the more people who actually know Quenya, the
      easier would it be to maintain an all-Quenya list. So our problem is
      educational, and I hope the course I am working out will be helpful.

      > (*) [Does] anyone know better word for it [sc. for 'course']?

      You used _tengwesta_ "grammar". No, I can't think of any better word. I
      wish we had any Quenya words (or at least primitive roots) meaning "teach"
      or "learn".

      > Hm, words, can you tell us your most beloved [sc. 'favorite']
      > Quenya word?
      > Mine is _laurea_ [= 'golden']; my most beloved sounds are 'l'
      > and 'a', and diphtong 'au' -- yeah, I like Namaarie and its
      > beginning: _Ai laurie lantar lassi suurinen_!

      I, too, tend to think of A as the most beautiful vowel; I also regard L as
      the most beautiful consonant. On the other hand, I tend to think of U as
      the ugliest vowel. The diphthong _au_ contains a strange tension...but yes,
      the overall effect is pleasing. (But _ai_ is more attractive.)

      > ps. Has anyone heard the new song by Orbital called 'Funny break
      > (One is enough)'? A beautiful song, is it not? Ok, ok, this goes
      > from beyond the Elvish languages but...

      Ai! úmien hlaritas!
      ("Alas! I haven't heard it!" - just to have at least one fragment of Quenya
      in this posting!)

      - Ainon
    • Ales Bican
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 21, 2001
        Ainon tence:

        > > [is] anyone here? This place died? Now when we have Helge's
        > > great [covering both sences] work about Quenya grammar?
        > > Living Quenya or dead Quenya?
        >
        > ** Revived Quenya, I hope...

        **Merin sa men sina termaruva Tolkíno alcar enyalien. (To paraphrase
        the Merin sentence and Cirion's Oath. *smile*)

        > The problem of keeping alive a list devoted to
        > actually writing in Quenya for its own sake is of course that the people
        > who can readily put together a Quenya text, don't really have much to say
        > to one another.

        **Yes, I know this is the main problem. Had we enough words we could
        talk at least about Quenya in Quenya. But I do not want to believe that
        we do not have anything to tell to anyone.

        > Obviously, the more people who actually know Quenya, the
        > easier would it be to maintain an all-Quenya list. So our problem is
        > educational, and I hope the course I am working out will be helpful.

        **I believe it will help. But practice is also a very important thing!

        > > (*) [Does] anyone know better word for it [sc. for 'course']?
        >
        > You used _tengwesta_ "grammar". No, I can't think of any better word. I
        > wish we had any Quenya words (or at least primitive roots) meaning "teach"
        > or "learn".

        **I think you once suggested *_saita-_ "teach", lit. "make know,
        understand" (SAY). But it is not genuine Tolkien.

        > > Hm, words, can you tell us your most beloved [sc. 'favorite']
        > > Quenya word?
        > > Mine is _laurea_ [= 'golden']; my most beloved sounds are 'l'
        > > and 'a', and diphtong 'au' -- yeah, I like Namaarie and its
        > > beginning: _Ai laurie lantar lassi suurinen_!
        >
        > I, too, tend to think of A as the most beautiful vowel; I also regard L as
        > the most beautiful consonant. On the other hand, I tend to think of U as
        > the ugliest vowel. The diphthong _au_ contains a strange tension...but yes,
        > the overall effect is pleasing. (But _ai_ is more attractive.)

        **I do not like U, either. Seems that Tolkien thought alike: Quenya is
        full of a's and the words containing u's are usually bad (like _úmea_,
        _urko_, _ulundo_). And if lots of a's is a mark of beautiful language,
        then Primitive Quendian must have been even more beautiful -- y'know
        those syncopes and reductions of a's. (Oh no, it cannot have been more
        beautiful, all those aspirated stops, phew, I do not like them,
        especially kh.)
        AI is also a very nice sound: I prefer _laire_ to _laure_, but _laurea_
        is above all. : )

        I think this can be written in Quenya, too -- it is not so difficult!

        Umin mele U yando. Séya sa Tolkín sinte ve me: Quenya ná quanta
        a-hlonion ar i quettar i haryar u-hloni nar sanyave saure (ve _úmea_,
        _urko_, _ulundo_). Ar intyala sa úve a-hlonion ná tengwe vanima
        lambeo, Quenderin né vanimalda -- istal tane racine ar vanwe hloni.
        (Ai lá, úmes pole vanimalda, ilye tane hwesta-patacar, ai, umin melitat,
        hérave kh.)
        AI ná vanima hlon yando: laitan _laire_ or _laure_, nan _laurea_ ná
        or ilya.

        [*_séya-_ "look, seem, appear"; *_sanyave_ "normally, usually";
        _intyala sa_ "supposing that"; *_vanimalda_ "more beautiful";
        _úmes pole vanimalda_ "it could not [be] more beautiful"; *_hlon_
        "sound"; *_hérave_ "chiefly, mainly"; _yando_ "also"]

        > > ps. Has anyone heard the new song by Orbital called 'Funny break
        > > (One is enough)'? A beautiful song, is it not? Ok, ok, this goes
        > > from beyond the Elvish languages but...
        >
        > Ai! úmien hlaritas!
        > ("Alas! I haven't heard it!" - just to have at least one fragment of Quenya
        > in this posting!)

        **Vanya linde!

        Alda

        ps. Ainon, úmielye quete men ammelda Quenya quettalya!
        [Helge, you have not told us your favorite Quenya word!]

        --
        **I want love or death, that's it. (Mathilda, _Léon: Version Intégrale_)