fifiirula var envinyanta?

  • Ales Bican
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 22, 2001
      Aiya nildor ar nilder,

      aiquen sinome? Firne men sina? Sii iire haryalme Ainondo alta carma
      Quenya tengwesto (*)? Coirea Quenya var vanwa Quenya?

      (*) Aiquen ista malda quetta tan? Ainon, isiitielye Quenya
      esseo carmalyan?

      Ai, quettar, polilye quete men ammelda Quenya quettalya?

      Inya naa _laurea_; ammelde hlonyar nar 'l', 'r' ar 'a', ar ohlon
      'au' -- yee, melin Namaarie ar yesserya: _Ai laurie lantar lassi
      suurinen_! Ar elye?

      Alda (manan ilquen halda?)

      at. Aiquen ahlaarie vinya linde Rindanen estaina 'Alassea cilya
      (Mine naa faarea)'? Vanima linde, anwa? Yee, yee, sina lelya
      Quenderin lambellon pella nan...
      A tyave yando lindesse 'An hehtanyel' Taltaron!

      --
      **Merin melme var qualme, tana ta. (Matilda, _Leon: Canta Quenta_)

      *****

      Hello my friends [mas. + fem.],

      [is] anyone here? This place died? Now when we have Helge's
      great [covering both sences] work about Quenya grammar (*)?
      Living Quenya or dead Quenya?
      [*_carma_ "work, something made", cf. _parma_ "book, something
      composed"; _var_ "or", from Qenyaqetsa, might be invalid]

      (*) [Does] anyone know better word for it [sc. for 'course']?
      Helge, have you thought about a Quenya name for your work?
      [_malda_ "better", see last Tyalie Tyelellieeva; *_isiitie_
      "have known"]

      Hm, words, can you tell us your most beloved [sc. 'favorite']
      Quenya word?

      Mine is _laurea_ [= 'golden']; my most beloved sounds are 'l'
      and 'a', and diphtong 'au' -- yeah, I like Namaarie and its
      beginning: _Ai laurie lantar lassi suurinen_! And you?
      [*_inya_ "mine"]

      Ales (why [is] everyone hidden?)
      [*_manan_ "why, for what [reason]"]

      ps. Has anyone heard the new song by Orbital called 'Funny break
      (One is enough)'? A beautiful song, is it not? Ok, ok, this goes
      from beyond the Elvish languages but...
      Taste/try also the album 'Since I left you' by The Avalanches!
      [at. = _apa tecina_ "post scriptum"; I used _Rinda_ "circular",
      no better word; _yando_ "also" from QQ, might be invalid;
      *_lindesse_ "album, collection of songs"; I used nominalized
      _talta_ "slide down" for "avalanche"]

      --
      **I want love or death, that's it. (Mathilda, _Léon: Version Intégrale_)
    • Lisa Star
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 25, 2001
        >From: Ales Bican <bican@...>

        >Aiya nildor ar nilder,
        >
        >aiquen sinome? Firne men sina? Sii iire haryalme Ainondo alta carma
        >Quenya tengwesto (*)? Coirea Quenya var vanwa Quenya?

        **Sorry, this isn't in quenya, but I'm here and would like to see this list
        revived. I'll sit down with the texts and try to say something intelligent
        --in quenya-- in my next post!

        ** Lisa Star

      • Helge K. Fauskanger
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 11, 2001
          Ales Bican wrote:

          > [is] anyone here? This place died? Now when we have Helge's
          > great [covering both sences] work about Quenya grammar?
          > Living Quenya or dead Quenya?

          ** Revived Quenya, I hope... The problem of keeping alive a list devoted to
          actually writing in Quenya for its own sake is of course that the people
          who can readily put together a Quenya text, don't really have much to say
          to one another. Obviously, the more people who actually know Quenya, the
          easier would it be to maintain an all-Quenya list. So our problem is
          educational, and I hope the course I am working out will be helpful.

          > (*) [Does] anyone know better word for it [sc. for 'course']?

          You used _tengwesta_ "grammar". No, I can't think of any better word. I
          wish we had any Quenya words (or at least primitive roots) meaning "teach"
          or "learn".

          > Hm, words, can you tell us your most beloved [sc. 'favorite']
          > Quenya word?
          > Mine is _laurea_ [= 'golden']; my most beloved sounds are 'l'
          > and 'a', and diphtong 'au' -- yeah, I like Namaarie and its
          > beginning: _Ai laurie lantar lassi suurinen_!

          I, too, tend to think of A as the most beautiful vowel; I also regard L as
          the most beautiful consonant. On the other hand, I tend to think of U as
          the ugliest vowel. The diphthong _au_ contains a strange tension...but yes,
          the overall effect is pleasing. (But _ai_ is more attractive.)

          > ps. Has anyone heard the new song by Orbital called 'Funny break
          > (One is enough)'? A beautiful song, is it not? Ok, ok, this goes
          > from beyond the Elvish languages but...

          Ai! úmien hlaritas!
          ("Alas! I haven't heard it!" - just to have at least one fragment of Quenya
          in this posting!)

          - Ainon
        • Ales Bican
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 21, 2001
            Ainon tence:

            > > [is] anyone here? This place died? Now when we have Helge's
            > > great [covering both sences] work about Quenya grammar?
            > > Living Quenya or dead Quenya?
            >
            > ** Revived Quenya, I hope...

            **Merin sa men sina termaruva Tolkíno alcar enyalien. (To paraphrase
            the Merin sentence and Cirion's Oath. *smile*)

            > The problem of keeping alive a list devoted to
            > actually writing in Quenya for its own sake is of course that the people
            > who can readily put together a Quenya text, don't really have much to say
            > to one another.

            **Yes, I know this is the main problem. Had we enough words we could
            talk at least about Quenya in Quenya. But I do not want to believe that
            we do not have anything to tell to anyone.

            > Obviously, the more people who actually know Quenya, the
            > easier would it be to maintain an all-Quenya list. So our problem is
            > educational, and I hope the course I am working out will be helpful.

            **I believe it will help. But practice is also a very important thing!

            > > (*) [Does] anyone know better word for it [sc. for 'course']?
            >
            > You used _tengwesta_ "grammar". No, I can't think of any better word. I
            > wish we had any Quenya words (or at least primitive roots) meaning "teach"
            > or "learn".

            **I think you once suggested *_saita-_ "teach", lit. "make know,
            understand" (SAY). But it is not genuine Tolkien.

            > > Hm, words, can you tell us your most beloved [sc. 'favorite']
            > > Quenya word?
            > > Mine is _laurea_ [= 'golden']; my most beloved sounds are 'l'
            > > and 'a', and diphtong 'au' -- yeah, I like Namaarie and its
            > > beginning: _Ai laurie lantar lassi suurinen_!
            >
            > I, too, tend to think of A as the most beautiful vowel; I also regard L as
            > the most beautiful consonant. On the other hand, I tend to think of U as
            > the ugliest vowel. The diphthong _au_ contains a strange tension...but yes,
            > the overall effect is pleasing. (But _ai_ is more attractive.)

            **I do not like U, either. Seems that Tolkien thought alike: Quenya is
            full of a's and the words containing u's are usually bad (like _úmea_,
            _urko_, _ulundo_). And if lots of a's is a mark of beautiful language,
            then Primitive Quendian must have been even more beautiful -- y'know
            those syncopes and reductions of a's. (Oh no, it cannot have been more
            beautiful, all those aspirated stops, phew, I do not like them,
            especially kh.)
            AI is also a very nice sound: I prefer _laire_ to _laure_, but _laurea_
            is above all. : )

            I think this can be written in Quenya, too -- it is not so difficult!

            Umin mele U yando. Séya sa Tolkín sinte ve me: Quenya ná quanta
            a-hlonion ar i quettar i haryar u-hloni nar sanyave saure (ve _úmea_,
            _urko_, _ulundo_). Ar intyala sa úve a-hlonion ná tengwe vanima
            lambeo, Quenderin né vanimalda -- istal tane racine ar vanwe hloni.
            (Ai lá, úmes pole vanimalda, ilye tane hwesta-patacar, ai, umin melitat,
            hérave kh.)
            AI ná vanima hlon yando: laitan _laire_ or _laure_, nan _laurea_ ná
            or ilya.

            [*_séya-_ "look, seem, appear"; *_sanyave_ "normally, usually";
            _intyala sa_ "supposing that"; *_vanimalda_ "more beautiful";
            _úmes pole vanimalda_ "it could not [be] more beautiful"; *_hlon_
            "sound"; *_hérave_ "chiefly, mainly"; _yando_ "also"]

            > > ps. Has anyone heard the new song by Orbital called 'Funny break
            > > (One is enough)'? A beautiful song, is it not? Ok, ok, this goes
            > > from beyond the Elvish languages but...
            >
            > Ai! úmien hlaritas!
            > ("Alas! I haven't heard it!" - just to have at least one fragment of Quenya
            > in this posting!)

            **Vanya linde!

            Alda

            ps. Ainon, úmielye quete men ammelda Quenya quettalya!
            [Helge, you have not told us your favorite Quenya word!]

            --
            **I want love or death, that's it. (Mathilda, _Léon: Version Intégrale_)