A first try a Quenya

  • alak_leafblower@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 15, 2001
      Hi,

      I'm new to this group, so I wanted to introduce myself with a
      translation that I made from LotR. It is the hymn to Elbereth
      Gilthoniel starting with "Snow-white! Snow-white! O Lady clear!"

      It is a first attempt at Quenya, so please correct any mistakes you
      may find.

      ---
      Niwispan! Niwispan! A Kher anpoy!
      A tâ telés i ayári ndûiva!
      A Kál emmin ranir
      Ëässen galadiva lanna!

      Gilthoniel! A Elbereth!
      Nir anpoyi khedily, nir ansil swesilya!
      Niwispan! Niwispan! Glinamma elyen.
      Nonna teles ayar.

      A eleni Gûnarra Coranarissë
      Sil manen erenen eredië
      Pelessë waiwava nár sil-poy.
      Thetammë lotha telepva wana.

      A Elbereth! Gilthoniel!
      Si nowommë, nor ndorla
      Teles ndorssë unu galasse,
      Sil-elenva teles Ayari Nduiva.
      ---

      Alak.
    • Lisa Star
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 16, 2001
        >From: alak_leafblower@...
        >Subject: [quenya] A first try a Quenya
        >Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:28:03 -0000

        **you might do better by sending this to the elfling list. This list
        (Quenya) is for speaking *in* Quenya.

        >Hi,
        >
        >I'm new to this group, so I wanted to introduce myself with a
        >translation that I made from LotR. It is the hymn to Elbereth
        >Gilthoniel starting with "Snow-white! Snow-white! O Lady clear!"
        >
        >It is a first attempt at Quenya, so please correct any mistakes you
        >may find.
        >
        >---
        >Niwispan! Niwispan! A Kher anpoy!
        > A t� tel�s i ay�ri nd�iva!
        >A K�l emmin ranir
        > ��ssen galadiva lanna!

        **Um, words that begin with g and nd don't normally occur in Quenya. The
        word for lady in Quenya is just heeri. (the double e marks an e with an
        accent, this convention is used on email lists because many people will see
        your diacrits as a jumble).

        >Gilthoniel! A Elbereth!

        **these names are attested as Tintalle Varda in Quenya. I think I'll just
        stop. I don't know where you got anpoy.

        ** Lisa Star
        ** LisaStar@...