[Fwd: A Tyalie]

  • Ales Bican
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2000
      [I suspect that this belongs to this list, so I am forwarding it
      here. If not, I apologize, Nathan, for publishing the privite
      letter. I will comment it later when I ain't so busy. -- Alda]
    • Helge K. Fauskanger
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 9, 2000
        Nathan wrote:

        Quentero, "Sii utuulien luumenn' omentielvo, sinome Oiolosseo, tienen et i
        nuumellon Endoreo: imbe voronde oronti, ter i eressie neni lingwiloocion, o

        undu pirucendie eleni mii hiise iluuve."

        =

        He said, "Now I have come to the hour of our meeting, here on Mount
        Everwhite, over paths from the lands of Middle Earth: between steadfast
        mountains, through the lonely waters of sea-sepents, and beneath gently
        whirling stars in the misty universe."

        If the grammar is too iffy, or the words a bit unreliable, it's because I
        am
        trying to string together as much nonsense as possible into one sentance!

        ** "He said" = either _quenteero_ with a long _ee_ or _quentes_ with the
        short 3rd person ending, or (best of all) the attested form _eques_, "(s)he
        said/says", used to introduce quotations.

        ** I don't recognize _nuumellon_ = "from the lands". Do you mean
        _noor(i)ellon_? And why not _Oiolossesse_ for "on Mount Everwhite"?
        Locativic genitive (_Oiolosseo_) would truly be a novelty... :)

        ** _Hiise_ = noun "mist" rather than adjective "misty", but you could of
        course claim that _hiise iluuve_ is a loose compound, referring to a "mist
        universe" (!)

        > P.S. Did you get my translation of the first chapter of Matthew? I know
        you all actually have adult jobs and such, so just tell me if no one is
        really working on it and I'll remain patient!

        ** Yes, I got it, and I even plan to comment on it, but I am working on
        something else now (which I hope you and everybody will see before X-mas).

        - Helge Fausaknger
      • Ales Bican
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 10, 2000
          Nathan tence:

          > Quentero, "Sii utuulien luumenn' omentielvo, sinome Oiolosseo, tienen et i
          > nuumellon Endoreo: imbe voronde oronti, ter i eressie neni lingwiloocion, o
          > undu pirucendie eleni mii hiise iluuve."

          > He said, "Now I have come to the hour of our meeting, here on Mount
          > Everwhite, over paths from the lands of Middle Earth: between steadfast
          > mountains, through the lonely waters of sea-sepents, and beneath gently
          > whirling stars in the misty universe."

          **"here on Mt. Everwhite" _sinome Oiolossesse_ (looks a bit
          strange...) rather than _sinome Oiolosseo_.
          _tienen_ would be the instrumental "by/with a path", precisely
          "over paths" would be _or tier_. [A "puzzle" for everyone:
          how would instr. pl. of _tie_ look like? Apparently not
          _tieinen_ or yes?]
          Rather _Endooreo_ instead of _Endoreo_.
          _o undu_ "and under", you meant _ar undu_? But it contains an a,
          but "and" could be omitted.
          _pirucendie_, sg. _pirucendea_ is of course Qenya form.

          Anyway, it is cool! I will certainly add it (just tell me
          your opinion about the comments). Who will beat you?

          Alda