Re: [quenya] elen siila luumenn' omentielmo!

  • Nathan Roy
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2000
      Thank you for the info! There was no explanation of how to make adverbs or
      superlatives in the grammar I found.

      I looked at the document you suggested, and was reminded on another
      question. What is the "w-curl"? There are several symbols in the tengwar
      font that I do not know the meanings of, including three sets of curl
      add-ons. Where can I find out about these?

      The word "naamon" is the plural of "naamo", which I found in the quenya
      corpus wordlist. If I remember correctly, it means "something". Doesn't
      really matter.

      I was wondering if there was any difference between the verbs "mer-" and
      "mel-". Thanks for clearing that up.

      Anyway, I have been working on a simple story for my language club with Greg
      Dyke. We have discussed the first two paragraphs, and now that I learned how
      to operate in Egroups, I can send it to the rest of you!

      See you later...

      Cuiviendil (Nathan Roy)

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • Ales Bican
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2000
        Nathan Roy wrote:

        > I looked at the document you suggested, and was reminded on another
        > question. What is the "w-curl"?

        **If you have instaled Dan Smith' Tengwar fonts, look at the
        mentioned article, I added some notes below; no.12 shows this.

        > There are several symbols in the tengwar
        > font that I do not know the meanings of, including three sets of curl
        > add-ons. Where can I find out about these?

        **I think you can try Dan Smith' page and his helpfiles:
        http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/4948/tengwar.htm
        and also try this:
        http://user.tninet.se/~xof995c/

        > The word "naamon" is the plural of "naamo", which I found in the quenya
        > corpus wordlist. If I remember correctly, it means "something". Doesn't
        > really matter.

        **It is "a judge" or "a person, somebody".

        > Anyway, I have been working on a simple story for my language club with Greg
        > Dyke. We have discussed the first two paragraphs, and now that I learned how
        > to operate in Egroups, I can send it to the rest of you!

        **Fine.

        Alda
      • Angasule
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2000
          > Nathan Roy wrote:
          >
          > > Man naa i cilme tengwaron ‘oore’ ar ‘roomen’ mi teecale?
          >
          > **Lertalye cenda os sine tengwar mi Lavir Salon centa
          > natsemenyasse estaina Alalme. [You can read about these symbols in
          > David Salo's enquiry/*essay on my site called 'elm'.]
          > http://www.inf.upol.cz/~mullerr/theresa/spelling.html
          > [Sounds like an advertising, I know...]
          >
          > > Naar tehtar ve ‘quotation marks’, ‘parentheses’ ar ‘question marks’?
          >
          > **Maqueta Angasuule! Melis Tengwar: aiya, Angasuule, ma elye sinome?
          > Ma polilye resta son?
          > [Ask Angasuule! He loves Tengwar: hey, Angasuule, are you here?
          > Can you help him?]
          > [_resta-_ "aid, help", QL]
          Tancave! Nan quentuvanyes Ilquestanen, laa istan nyaritas Quenyanen
          [Certainly! But I will say it in the Common Speech (English, I don't
          know how to call it in Quenya), I don't know how to say it in Quenya
          (what do you think of the use of -ita here?)].
          Well, about roomen and oore it's not difficult once one has memorized
          where to use them, it's pretty much reduced to use oore before full
          consonants (all consonants except 'w' and 'y') and finally, and use
          roomen before vowels, 'w' and 'y' (which means inital 'r' is written
          with roomen).
          As for quotation marks and parentheses I haven't seen any directly from
          Tolkien (I lack many books), although I believe he used some in early (I
          don't know how early) writings, when he was writing English with
          tengwar, you can see them at Dan Smith's help files (I don't have the
          address, but you can get it from Ardalambion's links). The question mark
          looks like tinco with an extra bow *below* the first one, with the lower
          end of the bow reaching and going to the left of the stem. Something
          like this (I'm terrible with ASCII art, please forgive!):

          |--\
          | |
          |-/
          | \
          | |
          | /
          | /
          |/
          /
          /

          Angasule
        • Nathan Roy
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2000
            Ahhh... I thought that strange telco symbol looked like punctuation! Writing
            systems that are nothing but one letter per sound can be so boring without
            interesting surprises in them.

            Here are all those curly tehtar I found using the "insert symbol" command
            with Tengwar-Quenya font:

            ? ? ? S ?

            /--\ /--\ --\
            ----/---/ ----/ / ----/ ----\ /
            _/ --/ /
            \_/

            Each one seems to have a counterpart for use with the upper-bowed tengwar as
            well. Besides the "s-curl", I have no idea what any of them mean! Being the
            kind of person who enjoys strange quirks, it would be great to find them
            out.

            I also remember some other symbols that looked like modified tengwar. One is
            harma with an extra curl coming from the stem, and the other suule with the
            letter two instead of a bow:

            /----| |
            / | |
            | / | |/--\
            \ \__| | /
            /
            /__

            Well, if anyone knows some of these, I'd appreciate hearing about them.
            Thanks for the info so far!

            Cuiviendil (Nathan Roy)
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 3, 2000
              Well, first of all let me advice you to carry on this topic on
              Elfscript, a mailing list dedicated to Tolkien's scripts, to subscribe
              to it send a blank email to elfscript-subscribe@egroups.com and messages
              should go to elfscript@egroups.com . AFAIK this list is meant for Quenya
              texts, for general (and not-so-general) questions about Tolkien's
              language there's Elfling, too.

              > Here are all those curly tehtar I found using the "insert symbol" command
              > with Tengwar-Quenya font:
              >
              > ? ? ? S ?
              >
              > /--\ /--\ --\
              > ----/---/ ----/ / ----/ ----\ /
              > _/ --/ /
              > \_/
              >
              > Each one seems to have a counterpart for use with the upper-bowed tengwar as
              > well. Besides the "s-curl", I have no idea what any of them mean! Being the
              > kind of person who enjoys strange quirks, it would be great to find them
              > out.
              All those are s-curls, there's just more than one shape for it.

              > I also remember some other symbols that looked like modified tengwar. One is
              > harma with an extra curl coming from the stem, and the other suule with the
              > letter two instead of a bow:
              >
              > /----| |
              > / | |
              > | / | |/--\
              > /
              > /__
              No idea about these, they may not be tengwar at all (like 0157 and 0158
              ;) ).
              Angasule