Quelle

  • Dima Leshchinskii
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 19, 2000
      Hello all!

      I would like to share my thoughts about the season named 'quelle' in
      the calendar of Imladris, a very grey and depressing time in France,
      shriveling hope in the heart along with beauty in Nature.

      Quelle

      Ringi telekla elmennar, ulugi rosiva elesse:
      Laire awanie.

      Lassi linga smali, yar mori starisse phir:
      Quelle utulie.

      Hrive tula, nik tuka,
      Boroni kheleki lumi.

      Ndan, nai ulugi patuva! Nai ur siluva teres!
      Coire tat tuluva!

      -----------------
      Translation:
      Cold stalking us(lit: "towards us"), rainclouds(lit: "clouds of
      rain")
      [in the sky:
      Summer has gone.

      Leaves hanging yellow, fruit black in the dead dry grass:
      'Fading'* has come.

      Winter is coming, bringing despair,(lit: "fear", I found not word for

      [despair in Quenya)
      [And] Long, cold nights.

      But, Be it that the clouds part(lit: "open")!** Be it that the sun
      shine

      [through!
      'Stirring'* shall come again!

      --------------
      Notes:
      *-Fading and Stirring are seasons(or months) of the 6-month Imaldris
      calendar. Fading is the shriveling grey time after beautiful golden
      autumn, and Stirring is the month/season after winter and before
      spring (see LotR appendix D for more details).

      **-Here I took the liberty of using the 'wishing formula' to express
      wish, instead of the traditional expression of a possibility (see
      "Namarie").
      --------------

      Please tell me what you think.
      Dima Leshchinskii
    • Helge K. Fauskanger
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 29, 2000
        On Dima Leshchinskii's poem:

        > Ringi telekla elmennar, ulugi rosiva elesse:
        Cold stalking us(lit: "towards us"), rainclouds(lit: "clouds of rain")

        ** Hmm...this doesn't look quite like Quenya to me, if I must say so.
        Remember, the entry-heads in the Etymologies don't form a Quenya dictionary
        (and neither does my index to this work). The root TELEK is glossed "stalk"
        all right, but in the context "stalk, stem, leg", so this is a noun and not
        a verb.

        **_Helle roitala me, rossefanyar_? "Frost pursuing us, rainclouds".

        > Laire awanie.
        > Summer has gone.

        ** Long _aa_ in _awaanie_, which would be an archaic form, later _avaanie_
        (as in Namaarie).

        > Lassi linga smali, yar mori starisse phir:
        > Leaves hanging yellow, fruit black in the dead dry grass:

        ** Rather: _Lassi lingala maline, more yaave (i) firin sarasse_.

        > Quelle utulie.
        > 'Fading' has come.

        ** _Utuulie_ with a long _uu_.

        > Hrive tula, nik tuka,
        > Winter is coming, bringing despair,(lit: "fear")

        ** Perhaps: _Hriive tuula, tukila rukie_... Where did you find _nik_ =
        "fear"

        > Boroni kheleki lumi.
        > [And] Long, cold nights.

        This looks like Primitive Elvish to me... _Ande, ringe/helke loomi_, I
        think.

        > Ndan, nai ulugi patuva! Nai ur siluva teres!
        > But, Be it that the clouds part(lit: "open")!
        Be it that the sun shine

        ** More Primitive Elvish... _Nan, nai (i) fanyar pantuvar! Nai Uur [better:
        Anar] siluva ter! (= ...shine through).

        ** Perhaps the prepostion should be prefixed (_tersiluva_, perhaps
        assimilated to _tessiluva_), but no one can be certain.

        > Coire tat tuluva!
        > 'Stirring'* shall come again!

        _Tat_ is just a root. There is a word _ata_ = "again", but why not simply
        use the prefix _en-_? After all, _entuluva_ is even directly attested.

        I'll come back to Nathan Roy's Bible translation.

        - Helge Fauskanger