could you give me some advice

  • sweetoffee14
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 2, 2003
      eh hi im learning quenya and found it quite easy so far and thought
      i was doing quite well until i found this and saw how much you lot
      know, could you give me any tips on how too learn properly. this is
      probably one of the few things ill actually be patient with so i
      really want to make the best of it, anything at all will be helpful.
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 3, 2003
        --- sweetoffee14 <sweetoffee14@...> wrote:
        > eh hi im learning quenya and found it quite easy so
        > far and thought
        > i was doing quite well until i found this and saw
        > how much you lot
        > know, could you give me any tips on how too learn
        > properly. this is
        > probably one of the few things ill actually be
        > patient with so i
        > really want to make the best of it, anything at all
        > will be helpful.

        Well, give us some hints what have you done so far, so
        we could know how to proceed from there.

        Have you munched through the Quenya Course from ardalambion.com?

        =====
        Thomas Ferencz

        "S�ve or, tambe n�n."

        http://shopping.yahoo.com
      • Rebecca Cramb
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 4, 2003
          it is that course and im on lesson 8 if that helps, tell me if it
          doesn't.

          --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, Atwe <percival64@y...> wrote:

          > --- sweetoffee14 <sweetoffee14@y...> wrote:
          > > eh hi im learning quenya and found it quite easy so
          > > far and thought
          > > i was doing quite well until i found this and saw
          > > how much you lot
          > > know, could you give me any tips on how too learn
          > > properly. this is
          > > probably one of the few things ill actually be
          > > patient with so i
          > > really want to make the best of it, anything at all
          > > will be helpful.
          > >

          > Well, give us some hints what have you done so far, so
          > we could know how to proceed from there.
          >
          > Have you munched through the Quenya Course from ardalambion.com?
          >
          > =====
          > Thomas Ferencz
          >
          > "Síve or, tambe nún."

          > http://shopping.yahoo.com
        • faer_edhel24816
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 21, 2003
            Navaer Sweetoffee

            Have you checked the Quenya course in the languages section on The
            Council of Elrond. I think it complements the Arda course nicely. It
            should be of help to you. Also check message Re need help
            phantomelf2003 posted 21 oct. it might be useful to you.

            Namarie

            Faer-Edhel

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 21, 2003
              --- faer_edhel24816 <faer_edhel24816@...>
              wrote:
              > Navaer Sweetoffee

              This greeting is funny on a Quenya list...

              =====
              Thomas Ferencz

              "S�ve or, tambe n�n."

              http://shopping.yahoo.com
            • Carolyn NoonN
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 21, 2003
                Instead of being clever tell me whats wrong so i can fix it. After all this is brand new field for me, im just starting to study the language and email and posting all computer stuff is brand new to me too.  I would appreciate constructive coments rather than ricicule.  I thought the idea of this group was mutal help

                Faer-Edhel

                Atwe <percival64@...> wrote:

                --- faer_edhel24816
                wrote:
                > Navaer Sweetoffee

                This greeting is funny on a Quenya list...

                =====
                Thomas Ferencz

                "Síve or, tambe nún."

                http://shopping.yahoo.com

                KnowledgeStorm has over 22,000 B2B technology solutions. The most comprehensive IT buyers' information available. Research, compare, decide. E-Commerce | Application Dev | Accounting-Finance | Healthcare | Project Mgt | Sales-Marketing | More
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/IMai8D/UYQGAA/cIoLAA/cEfwlB/TM

                Yahoo! Personals
                - New people, new possibilities. FREE for a limited time!

              • faer_edhel24816
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 21, 2003
                  --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, Carolyn NoonN <faer_edhel24816@y...>
                  wrote:
                  To Thomas Ferencz

                  Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

                  I dont think so. Hello anyway,

                  Further to what I have said below when I make an error (and this
                  looks like a biggi). I am more than happy to be corrected but not in
                  the manner you did. It is very important (particularly to new
                  people) to post correct information. This has taught me not to rely
                  on my memory even when i think i remember correctly. In future i will
                  check first.

                  As your've probably surmised(from my name among other things) i am
                  also learning Sindarin and this is where i made the mistake
                  (obviously atleast to you). Navaer(Sind) is farwell in Sindarin. I
                  stand corrected.

                  I resepectfully suggest that in future should you find such a thing
                  again, gently point out the error to the person concerned and give
                  them some guidance on fixing it. I re-iterate the importance of
                  learning correctly. Anyway enough said.

                  Faer-Edhel

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 21, 2003
                    --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "faer_edhel24816"
                    <faer_edhel24816@y...> wrote:
                    > Navaer Sweetoffee
                    >
                    > Have you checked the Quenya course in the languages section on The
                    > Council of Elrond. I think it complements the Arda course nicely.
                    It> should be of help to you. Also check message Re need help
                    > phantomelf2003 posted 21 oct. it might be useful to you.
                    >
                    > Namarie
                    >
                    > Faer-Edhel

                    Hello Sweetoffee

                    MAJOR ERROR

                    Sweetoffee i wish to apologise for my greeting (Navaer) which it
                    isnt. Please disregard as it is Sindarin. I am learning both
                    languages and should have checked this rather than rely on memory.
                    Sorry if it caused any in convenience.

                    Namarie

                    Faer-Edhel

                    > --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "Rebecca Cramb" <sweetoffee14@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > > it is that course and im on lesson 8 if that helps, tell me if it
                    > > doesn't.
                    > >
                    > > --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, Atwe <percival64@y...> wrote:

                    > > > Well, give us some hints what have you done so far, so
                    > > > we could know how to proceed from there.
                    > > >
                    > > > Have you munched through the Quenya Course from ardalambion.com?
                    > > >
                    > > > =====
                    > > > Thomas Ferencz
                    > > >
                    > > > "Síve or, tambe nún."

                    > > > The New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product search
                    > > > http://shopping.yahoo.com
                  • Carl F. Hostetter
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 21, 2003
                      On Oct 21, 2003, at 10:02 PM, faer_edhel24816 wrote:

                      > I am more than happy to be corrected but not in the manner you did.
                      > It is very important (particularly to new people) to post correct
                      > information.

                      <snip>

                      > Navaer(Sind) is farwell in Sindarin.

                      <snip>

                      > I resepectfully suggest that in future should you find such a thing
                      > again, gently point out the error to the person concerned

                      Then I'll gently point out that "Navaer" is in fact _not_ a Sindarin
                      word. Strictly speaking, it is a secondary invention coined on
                      far-from-certain phonological grounds as a cognate of the attested
                      Quenya parting wish, _namárie_ 'farewell'.

                      ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
                      Ars longa, vita brevis.
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 22, 2003
                        wrote:
                        > Instead of being clever tell me whats wrong so i can
                        > fix it. After all this is brand new field for me, im
                        > just starting to study the language and email and
                        > posting all computer stuff is brand new to me too.
                        > I would appreciate constructive coments rather than
                        > ricicule. I thought the idea of this group was
                        > mutal help
                        >
                        > Faer-Edhel

                        It's Sindarin, not Quenya, that's all.

                        Bye,

                        =====
                        Thomas Ferencz

                        "S�ve or, tambe n�n."

                        http://shopping.yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 22, 2003
                          Okay, guys, let's finish this navaer affair, okay?:-)
                          I apologise for being so curt and deconstructive. Bad
                          day, I presume.

                          � quetilve Quenyanen, nas siuca[1]!

                          [1] *siuca "exciting, interesting" - my coinage from
                          the root SIW- "excite, urge, egg on"; cf. TIW- _tiuca_
                          "fat"

                          Shine on,
                          wrote:
                          > --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "faer_edhel24816"
                          > <faer_edhel24816@y...> wrote:
                          > > Navaer Sweetoffee

                          =====
                          Thomas Ferencz

                          "S�ve or, tambe n�n."

                          http://shopping.yahoo.com
                        • faer_edhel24816
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 22, 2003
                            --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, Carl F. Hostetter <Aelfwine@e...> wrote:

                            > On Oct 21, 2003, at 10:02 PM, faer_edhel24816 wrote:
                            >
                            > > I am more than happy to be corrected but not in the manner you did.
                            > > It is very important (particularly to new people) to post correct
                            > > information.
                            >
                            > <snip>
                            >
                            > > Navaer(Sind) is farwell in Sindarin.
                            >
                            > <snip>
                            >
                            > > I resepectfully suggest that in future should you find such a thing
                            > > again, gently point out the error to the person concerned
                            >
                            > Then I'll gently point out that "Navaer" is in fact _not_ a Sindarin
                            > word. Strictly speaking, it is a secondary invention coined on
                            > far-from-certain phonological grounds as a cognate of the attested
                            > Quenya parting wish, _namárie_ 'farewell'.

                            Hello Carl

                            I am very honored to make your aquaintance and i mean that sincerely.
                            To tell the truth i was both horrified and mortified when i realised
                            what a terrible goof i had made but i dont believe the manner in which
                            it was pointed out was very helpful at all. Is there some way i can
                            repair the damage i have caused? Thank you very much, it is kind of
                            you to provide the above information. I will add it to the explanation
                            of "navaer" in my Sindarin dictionaries. The source of my information
                            is http://www.councilofelrond.com, then click on the languages section
                            and Sindarin/English dictionary. The dictionary gives "Navaer" as a
                            sindarin phrase but does expand on it as you have. Whether that
                            information is given further in the course I dont yet know. However
                            their is a link to a Sindarin Dictionary and that word does not come
                            up in the search enginge i only just checked now.

                            I decided to try and learn Quenya first so my interaction with
                            Sindarin is limited to what is in that Dictionary, occasional
                            conversation with a friend who has been studying it for some time, and
                            what i have read so far on sites such as Aralambion and
                            Gwaith-i-Phethdain. Though as i said i am spending more time on
                            Quenya at the moment and that is going slowly. The study of anything
                            isnt my strong point but I feel a strong need to atleast try and learn
                            Professor Tolkiens invented languages. I havent been this motivated
                            about anything in a very long time and the motivation has flowed on
                            into other aspects of my life i am definitely brighter and more active
                            than before.

                            I joined this group in the hope of finding help and encouragement from
                            the other members and reciprocating where it was within my limited
                            abilities to do so, and, thus make progress in the learning of this
                            beautiful language. Thank you again for your time and your kindly critism.

                            Faer-Edhelfile:///C|/Program Files/Netscape/Users/cnoonanc/launch.aim
                            Instant Message

                            > --
                            > Carl F. Hostetter Aelfwine@e... http://www.elvish.org
                            >
                            > ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
                            > Ars longa, vita brevis.
                            > The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.
                            > "I wish life was not so short," he thought. "Languages take such
                            > a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."
                          • Carl F. Hostetter
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 22, 2003
                              On Oct 22, 2003, at 4:04 AM, faer_edhel24816 wrote:

                              > To tell the truth i was both horrified and mortified when i realised
                              > what a terrible goof i had made

                              Well, if it helps, I can tell you that the only Tolkienian linguists
                              who have never made any horrifying, mortifying goofs are those who have
                              never published anything! So don't feel so bad. This is not a
                              life-or-death endeavor we're in here; mistakes we make aren't going to
                              get anyone hurt or killed. So just chalk it up to experience, and above
                              all don't let the occasional mistake keep you from thinking, writing,
                              and publishing about the topic.
                            • Rebecca Cramb
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 25, 2003
                                Thanks i will look at that council of elrond thing :)