Music

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 30, 2003
      Last time I asked this question, all it did was create a debate on
      how I said it. Now I'm just going to ask the question. Would ANYONE
      happen to know where one might find Quenya Music. Something on CD. A
      little more than what you hear on LotR. If you know please let me
      know.

      Thank you
      Elladan Carnesir
    • Ira Adams
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2003
        The only songs I have encountered that are sung in Quenya (besides the
        few in the soundtrack music of the LOTR films) are an arrangement of
        Galadriel's lament ("Aye! Laurie lantar lasse surinen....") sung by
        someone named Demetrius Polychronous, and a litttle lullabye written
        and sung by a russian woman whose name escapes me and whose Web site
        seems to be gone.

        I wish someone would write more - learning languages is easier if one
        has songs in the language. Writing Quenya songs seems to be hampered
        by missing vocabulary words.

        If anyone knows of other songs in Quenya, perhaps we could make a list
        here somewhere?

        Ira Adams

        --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <swoopdawg1@y...> wrote:
        > Last time I asked this question, all it did was create a debate on
        > how I said it. Now I'm just going to ask the question. Would ANYONE
        > happen to know where one might find Quenya Music. Something on CD. A
        > little more than what you hear on LotR. If you know please let me
        > know.
        >
        > Thank you
        > Elladan Carnesir
      • Nilde
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 2003
          Aiya!
          I know a nice song in Quenya+Russian (first part is in Quenya anyway)-
          http://elf-legolas.narod.ru/mult/mmhf.mp3. Text is here:
          http://starpeople.narod.ru/texts/pella_hisie.htm
          If you are interested in songs on Sindarin (offtopic) -
          http://starpeople.narod.ru/texts/nirnaeth_mmai.htm .
          I'll look for more.
          Namaarie!

          IA> The only songs I have encountered that are sung in Quenya (besides the
          IA> few in the soundtrack music of the LOTR films) are an arrangement of
          IA> Galadriel's lament ("Aye! Laurie lantar lasse surinen....") sung by
          IA> someone named Demetrius Polychronous, and a litttle lullabye written
          IA> and sung by a russian woman whose name escapes me and whose Web site
          IA> seems to be gone.

          IA> I wish someone would write more - learning languages is easier if one
          IA> has songs in the language. Writing Quenya songs seems to be hampered
          IA> by missing vocabulary words.

          IA> If anyone knows of other songs in Quenya, perhaps we could make a list
          IA> here somewhere?

          IA> Ira Adams

          IA> --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <swoopdawg1@y...> wrote:
          >> Last time I asked this question, all it did was create a debate on
          >> how I said it. Now I'm just going to ask the question. Would ANYONE
          >> happen to know where one might find Quenya Music. Something on CD. A
          >> little more than what you hear on LotR. If you know please let me
          >> know.
          >>
          >> Thank you
          >> Elladan Carnesir

          Best regards,
          Nilde mailto:nilde@...
        • Valery Maximiv
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 5, 2003
            Greetings, [aiya Nilde]

            There is Namarie sung by Telenis at
            www.silverwolf.lviv.ua/tolkien/linwele/namarie.mp3
            I'm sure you 'll love it.

            Aiwe
          • Ira Adams
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 5, 2003
              That's a great song. The Quenya sounds heavily Russian-accented
              although, if I read the description correctly, the singer is Ukrainian.

              The Russian and Quenya renditions each stand alone beautifully if you
              snip the file in the middle.

              There's a lot of elvish music there, including some I haven't heard of
              previously. I guess I'll have to try to brush up on my Russian.

              On Friday, October 3, 2003, at 11:10 AM, Nilde wrote:

              > Aiya!
              > I know a nice song in Quenya+Russian (first part is in Quenya anyway)-
              > http://elf-legolas.narod.ru/mult/mmhf.mp3. Text is here:
              > http://starpeople.narod.ru/texts/pella_hisie.htm
              > If you are interested in songs on Sindarin (offtopic) -
              > http://starpeople.narod.ru/texts/nirnaeth_mmai.htm .
              > I'll look for more.
              > Namaarie!
              >
              > Friday, October 3, 2003, 7:10:33 PM, you wrote:
              >
              > IA> The only songs I have encountered that are sung in Quenya (besides
              > the
              > IA> few in the soundtrack music of the LOTR films) are an arrangement
              > of
              > IA> Galadriel's lament ("Aye! Laurie lantar lasse surinen....") sung by
              > IA> someone named Demetrius Polychronous, and a litttle lullabye
              > written
              > IA> and sung by a russian woman whose name escapes me and whose Web
              > site
              > IA> seems to be gone.
              >
              > IA> I wish someone would write more - learning languages is easier if
              > one
              > IA> has songs in the language. Writing Quenya songs seems to be
              > hampered
              > IA> by missing vocabulary words.
              >
              > IA> If anyone knows of other songs in Quenya, perhaps we could make a
              > list
              > IA> here somewhere?
              >
              > IA> Ira Adams
              >
              > IA> --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <swoopdawg1@y...> wrote:
              >>> Last time I asked this question, all it did was create a debate on
              >>> how I said it. Now I'm just going to ask the question. Would ANYONE
              >>> happen to know where one might find Quenya Music. Something on CD. A
              >>> little more than what you hear on LotR. If you know please let me
              >>> know.
              >>>
              >>> Thank you
              >>> Elladan Carnesir
            • Ira Adams
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 5, 2003
                That's the best of three versions I've come across. I wish the
                instruments weren't quite so loud in relation to the singer's voice.

              • arathiaes@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 6, 2003
                  In a message dated 10/6/2003 8:26:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time, iadams@... writes:
                  silverwolf.lviv.ua/tolkien/linwele/namarie.mp3
                  Thank you for sending me the site address.
                • arathiaes@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 6, 2003
                    In a message dated 10/6/2003 8:26:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time, iadams@... writes:
                    elf-legolas.narod.ru/mult/mmhf.mp3.
                    Thank you for the site address.  guess I need to learn Russian too
                  • faer_edhel24816
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 17, 2003
                      --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "Ira Adams" <iadams@e...> wrote:
                      > The only songs I have encountered that are sung in Quenya (besides the
                      > few in the soundtrack music of the LOTR films) are an arrangement of
                      > Galadriel's lament ("Aye! Laurie lantar lasse surinen....") sung by
                      > someone named Demetrius Polychronous, and a litttle lullabye written
                      > and sung by a russian woman whose name escapes me and whose Web site
                      > seems to be gone.
                      >
                      > I wish someone would write more - learning languages is easier if one
                      > has songs in the language. Writing Quenya songs seems to be hampered
                      > by missing vocabulary words.
                      >
                      > If anyone knows of other songs in Quenya, perhaps we could make a list
                      > here somewhere?
                      >
                      > Ira Adams
                      >
                      > --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <swoopdawg1@y...> wrote:
                      > > Last time I asked this question, all it did was create a debate on
                      > > how I said it. Now I'm just going to ask the question. Would ANYONE
                      > > happen to know where one might find Quenya Music. Something on CD. A
                      > > little more than what you hear on LotR. If you know please let me
                      > > know.
                      > >
                      > > Thank you
                      > > Elladan Carnesir

                      Hi Elladan

                      I have obtained a book called the Road Goes Ever On JRR tolkien music
                      by Donald Swann. It is a music book and a CD comes with the later
                      version. On the CD two to the songs Namarie is sung in Quenya and
                      Elbereth is sung in Sindarin. The singer of these songs William Elvin
                      apparently was instructed in pronounciation by Tolkien himself. So I
                      think these are very good to listen too to get correct pronounciation.
                      Also there is much written information on the languages incuding
                      Elvish script by the Professor.

                      Donald Swann was a personal friend of the Tolkien family and spent
                      many hours discussing the elvish languages with Professor tolkien.
                      I cant recommend this book and CD enough. I obtained my copy through
                      abebooks. Please not the original issue does not have the CD, you
                      need the later version. Hope this helps

                      Faer-Edhel
                    • Laura Spence
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 5, 2003